Go Down

Topic: ATMEL Mega1284P evaluation board avalible (Read 76 times) previous topic - next topic

stevemarple

My primary objective for the 1284P is to get the additional RAM (and code space). Also needed to maintain the traditional Arduino dimensions and header locations, including ICSP. There is more then enough IO on an ATmega328 for my purposes.
So all considered, it is built with my particular specifications in mind.

It looks good, different from Bob's (Crossroad's) Bobuino and also my Calunium, so between us there are a range of options for using the ATmega1284. I hope that somehow we can all collaborate to get the Arduino software fixed so that the SD and other libraries don't make assumptions over pin mapping but use the proper pin-mapping mechanisms implemented in v1.0.

How did you estimate the area needed for the PCB heatsink?

adilinden

How did you estimate the area needed for the PCB heatsink?

Very unsophisticated.... just used the available space to maximum practical extend.

CrossRoads

Apcircuits: 80mm x 100mm - $73.

I think www.internationalcircuits.com will do 10 inch x 10 inch protoboards for $105 or similar.
Site says 10% discount for online orders too. skyjumper has been using them, they did yellow board at my signature link.
Got another board to post there also when I get home.

Regarding this:
"use the proper pin-mapping mechanisms implemented in v1.0"
I haven't looked at whats implemented for 324/644/1284, but I do know I disagree with pin mappings used for 32U4/Leonardo, compatibility with older shields disregarded and didn't need to be. Seems to be easier with the Variants folder now to implement a different mapping, need to look into that more.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

adilinden

Seems to be easier with the Variants folder now to implement a different mapping, need to look into that more.

I will have to figure that one out. It seems one can define everything there is to a custom board and place it in the sketches folder. No need to modify any of the original Arduino distributed file. I sure hope that is how it works.

stevemarple

I've been using iteadstudio and buying 10, 20, 50 boards.
5cm x 5cm, $9.90
10cm x 10cm, $24.90

I second Iteadstudio. I've used them twice now and been happy on both occasions. To maximise yield I used more conservative design rules than the 8/8 mil they recommend. Rounded corners and cut-outs are supported.

Go Up