Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Making IDE work with the 1284P  (Read 1014 times)
Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi All...

I have a board with a 644P and it works great. I just popped in a 1284P and used AVR Studio to upload the bootloader.

I am using the 0020 cores from avr-developers.com. I modified boards.txt so that there is an entry for the 1284P with a 16 MHz clock, since that's what my board is clocked at. I then compiled the blink example sketch and tried to upload it to the board. Here is what I saw:

Binary sketch size: 1222 bytes (of a 122880 byte maximum)
avrdude: AVR Part "atmega1284p" not found.

Followed by a long list of supported chips, of which the 1284P was not among them.

Is there something i can do to get this to work?

Thanks!

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

A newer version of avrdude includes configuration settings for the 1284P.  I have 5.10.  Arduino ships with 5.4.

You may be able to just "upgrade" the avrdude.conf file.  I've attached the version from my computer.

* avrdude.conf (504.34 KB - downloaded 11 times.)

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

Awesome, thanks!

Now to push my luck a bit... Would you have a HEX file for a bootloader that clocks at 16 MHz? I thought i found one but I can't seem to get it to work :-(

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

A newer version of avrdude includes configuration settings for the 1284P.  I have 5.10.  Arduino ships with 5.4.

You may be able to just "upgrade" the avrdude.conf file.  I've attached the version from my computer.

I know this should be an wasy error to find int eh conf file, but line 320 looks fine to me, nd I retyped it to make sure there were no hidden characters. Here is the error avrdude spits out through the IDE:

Binary sketch size: 450 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
error at C:\Users\jim\Desktop\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf:320 unrecognized character: "a"

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Awesome, thanks!

You are welcome.

Now to push my luck a bit... Would you have a HEX file for a bootloader that clocks at 16 MHz? I thought i found one but I can't seem to get it to work :-(

Someone else will have to help with that one.  I have never built a bootloader and I don't have time right now to figure out how.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I know this should be an wasy error to find int eh conf file, but line 320 looks fine to me, nd I retyped it to make sure there were no hidden characters. Here is the error avrdude spits out through the IDE:
Binary sketch size: 450 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
error at C:\Users\jim\Desktop\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf:320 unrecognized character: "a"

Argh!  Either the forum alters the file (e.g. changes line-feeds to carriage-return-line-feeds) or the you will need the latest avrdude to go with the new configuration file.

The choices available to you...

● I'll put the file somewhere else and you try again

● You locate the original source file (I think the project is hosted on SourceForge), download it, and try again

● You can "upgrade" to the latest AVR-GCC compiler...

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,60649.msg437771.html#msg437771

If you would like to try the first choice, just let me know and I'll find a different home for the file.

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

Thanks! I got it working by taking the section that relatyes to the 1284P and pasting it into my existing avrdude.conf file. So that step is good.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Ah!  An option I had not considered.  Excellent choice.  I'm glad to know you have it working.  Good luck with a bootloader.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: