Go Down

Topic: Employment for Arduinoites (Read 4159 times) previous topic - next topic

Graynomad

There's been a lot of requests for people to do paid work on Arduinos lately, mostly (but not all) for whimsical projects like Darth Vader helmets etc.

So I thought I'd see if Arduino has reached the more mainstream job market yet and searched for "Arduino" on one of the main IT jobs sites (SEEK).

Results, zip.

So I guess not yet.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Valalvax

I bet you in six months that'll have changed, probably won't be a huge number, but I bet you will start to see them pop up (mainly due to Arduino+Android)

focalist

Well, I wonder if this is one of those situations where direct employment for Arduino developers might actually be undercut by it's Open Source nature.  A commercial company most likely would want to skip the possible hassles of using "Arduino"- especially any startup that doesn't want to have a boatload of legal troubles and a very angry user community.. I'd be willing to bet such positions would be advertised as "Atmel Developers", "MCU Developers", or "AVR Developers". 

At best, they'd suggest in their ads that having experience "With Arduino, BASIC Stamp, or 8051"

I could be wrong.. but using the name Arduino in the context of a company has implications, and unless what they were making was somehow directly related to the Arduino project, it would probably be easier and "safer" to just advertise for a Microcontroller Applications Engineer.
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Graynomad

Maybe, but you can still develop an "Arduino compatible" device with no legal issues, and in that case you would have to use the word in the ad to attract the right people.

OTOH if you are an Embedded EE you'll pick up Arduino in about 20 minutes (if you already know AVRs) so maybe "Arduino" is not the thing to ask for even if that's the intended platform for the applicant.

FWIW I always search for the word "embedded", that seems to return the best results. But there are precious few interesting jobs around from what I can see and the few I have found have been in "a great central CBD location", why the hell would I want to battle the subway or traffic for 2 hours a day? Why aren't there any good jobs in a "nice leafy outer suburb" or a "quite small town".

_______
Rob

Graynomad

phonetic

The problem I see is some people want to profit from the good will of open source community.
I went to a ATA meeting there was a discussion of Web based Energy monitoring (user pays).
The guy giving the demo/talk seems to be chubby with hackerspace group and used some for developement of a power monitor based on Arduino and developed shild with zigbee RF link
The smarts connected to the Internet based on Open WRT Router.
Im very suspect when a for profit person seeking work/developement from a open source community.
If its for profit should not use open source, as it will distort the ethos of not for profit open source community.
At the end of the meeting i felt a bitter taste in my mouth, as you had to pay $$$ and to supcribe to the service you had to pay $20 per month for a web based energy monitoring service.
Ironic there is a better service from open source  web based energy monitoring, than the commerical based one :)

Senso

Lol what?

The embedded market is almost all in the ARM's right now, and even if they use 8bit micros they use avr's, pic's, nuvoton's, z80's, x51's, msp's, cypress psoc's, and a lot more chips, no one use Arduino in a real project, as you can see allmost all the licences are LGPL, so they would have to release source code, and face it, the arduino core is covered in bugs, for example the port access's are not atomic, they can be interrupted, the devellopers didint used atomic blocks that avr-libc supports, nor is all the rest of the functions, not even the attachInterrupt code is atomic and that can lead to disaster.

retrolefty

and face it, the arduino core is covered in bugs, for example the port access's are not atomic, they can be interrupted, the devellopers didint used atomic blocks that avr-libc supports, nor is all the rest of the functions, not even the attachInterrupt code is atomic and that can lead to disaster.

Is that something you can help fix? There is a developers mailing list that has good people working on such issues that get presented to them:

http://arduino.cc/pipermail/developers_arduino.cc/

Lefty

justjed

I'm very suspect when a for profit person seeking work/development from a open source community.

Well, there's right ways, and wrong ways, to go about it. But, FWIW, even Richard Stallman says that people should be free to use Free Software to make money. (The 'open source' definition is different from the 'free software' definition.) Probably the #1 example of people using Free/Open software to make money is the Apache webserver. More than half of all webservers, worldwide, are running Apache. Certainly, in the world of software, examples abound, such as RedHat.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

westfw

face it, the arduino core is covered in bugs,

Everything is covered in bugs.  Commercial entities just ... deal with it.

I can't really see advertising for an Arduino programmer.  Maybe something like an "interactive display artist with Arduino experience desirable."

robstar

I was recently looking for some local help with Arduino .. as well as interested in doing some freelance work in Toronto with the arduino .

I noticed that there's no real place online where I can find developers and post my services .. so I created a site for all of us!

Please check out ArduinoExperts.com ... A place for arduino developers to get freelance and full-time gigs.

http://ArduinoExperts.com

Tell your developer friends, we'll tell ours.
Together we'll have plenty of arduino geeks to code with!

westfw

THere is also the adafruit "job board":  http://www.adafruit.com/jobs/

Go Up