Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Feasibility: Virtual Keyboard and ultra-fast keystrokes  (Read 1661 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

This wasn't LIGHTNING fast, but it was good.   If you want a COMPLETELY standalone system, i.e. A box with a USB port and some buttons, you will end up wanting to make it easy to Ganges out your snippits easily.  A panel mounted SD card slot connected to whichever MP you go with is probably the most obvious option.   The last time I did something like that, I made a dir structure on the SD card, one directory for each modifier key - essentially I had 4 modifier keys that could be pressed FIRST and in combination with my main keys.  Into those dirs, I put a folder for each main key.   

If I were doing this myself, I'd use the teensy because its small and the HID support makes it ultimately portable on any machine.   I'd then throw an LCD on it - a nice high res OLED perhaps - and have it display, at rest, a basic list of keys with a hint, then when pressed, display the text about to be inserted. 

That sounds like a pretty good way to take this on.

I'm just really hoping i can get this to work in a way that it can pump a 300 character long snippet of code into a pc's text editor without any lag and - most preferrably - without any software running on the pc.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm just really hoping i can get this to work in a way that it can pump a 300 character long snippet of code into a pc's text editor without any lag and - most preferrably - without any software running on the pc.
So you don't need >6000 characters/second...

I presume by a text editor you mean notepad or similar. I'd estimate that you wouldn't really notice if it was 600 characters/second or slower...

HID on an arduino or a teensy or similar would work fine in this case then. You could just use serial keys on a windows computer (already on the computer - just needs to be enabled) which would be the fastest way to get it up and running assuming it's a windows computer and you wouldn't mind turning that on.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: