Go Down

Topic: Feasibility: Virtual Keyboard and ultra-fast keystrokes (Read 3131 times) previous topic - next topic

This wasn't LIGHTNING fast, but it was good.   If you want a COMPLETELY standalone system, i.e. A box with a USB port and some buttons, you will end up wanting to make it easy to Ganges out your snippits easily.  A panel mounted SD card slot connected to whichever MP you go with is probably the most obvious option.   The last time I did something like that, I made a dir structure on the SD card, one directory for each modifier key - essentially I had 4 modifier keys that could be pressed FIRST and in combination with my main keys.  Into those dirs, I put a folder for each main key.   

If I were doing this myself, I'd use the teensy because its small and the HID support makes it ultimately portable on any machine.   I'd then throw an LCD on it - a nice high res OLED perhaps - and have it display, at rest, a basic list of keys with a hint, then when pressed, display the text about to be inserted. 

That sounds like a pretty good way to take this on.

I'm just really hoping i can get this to work in a way that it can pump a 300 character long snippet of code into a pc's text editor without any lag and - most preferrably - without any software running on the pc.

mowcius

I'm just really hoping i can get this to work in a way that it can pump a 300 character long snippet of code into a pc's text editor without any lag and - most preferrably - without any software running on the pc.

So you don't need >6000 characters/second...

I presume by a text editor you mean notepad or similar. I'd estimate that you wouldn't really notice if it was 600 characters/second or slower...

HID on an arduino or a teensy or similar would work fine in this case then. You could just use serial keys on a windows computer (already on the computer - just needs to be enabled) which would be the fastest way to get it up and running assuming it's a windows computer and you wouldn't mind turning that on.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy