Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Duemilanove and L298N boards help.  (Read 3787 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all, im working on an Arduino CNC I have the old Duemilanove (atmega168) been loads of fun over the years even programming the atmega 328 with it.

I need help with a new project, I’ve built a small PCB CNC and now working on the electronics, I won’t to use my old Arduino Duemilanove with a 168 onboard, on this project, I think im trying to run before I can walk, got me leg in now so I need to move forward with the project, I purchased 5 L298N boards of Ebay just like you see here. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400527149441

I need to control 3 stepper motors using 3 of the boards from Ebay, I don’t see how I can connect all 3 up at the same time, can anyone help with this,  is it possible, if not possible with the boards I don’t mind using the parts from them.

I’ve built this shield.
http://cnc.antoinepelloux.eu/en/index.php?id=4
It works well but the L293D’s even with heat sinks and a fan get hot and pack up, the motors im using drag to much currant from the L293Ds.   I’m running bipolar motors and they are pulling around 1.3 amps each. I was hoping to wire the new L298N boards in a similar fashion to the schematic on the above website. 

Any help please.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the projects I’ve completed if anyone’s interested.

Boot loader shield.

ISP programmer shield.

MIDI player with LCD from SD card.

High voltage fuse reset shield. 
I love this one, like most beginner’s I locked loads of atmega’s, thinking that’s another one joins the pile in the box, at the time I thought id blown them, so glad I kept them all, my un-programmable  atmega’s are now usable. For me best project ever.

Edison Member
Now, More Than Ever
View Profile

It's possible, the same way.
It's just a matter of carrying through, routing the wires to your ebay modules as the Arduino CNC guy did with the DIP version there.
The labels on the DIP on the Arduino CNC page correspond to the labels on the ebay modules.
It seems unambiguous to me.
How can that be made more apparent (clearer)?

> > >  I shall add that I see only the one 2-pin header ("5V enable") on the ebay module.  The schematic on the ebay page shows a 3-pin header and a 2-pin header.  I'm not sure but I think (??) that's for making VS 5V or "+12 Power".  I would get a handle on what that's all about before doing anything else.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:26:46 pm by Runaway Pancake » Logged

"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for the reply looks like im going to have to modify my boards, will post more info on them ASAP.
I’ve looked at the datasheets for L293D and compared it to L298N and its all looking good. L298N boards have enable A and enable B however they have jumpers to connect them to a built in 5v rail, so in theory if I remove jumpers and link the enable A & B it would appear I will have the same as the diagram in the link above.  So I will end up with 
(Enable A) (in1) (in2) (in3) (in4) (Enable B)
I will post a full diagram here so others looking for info will be able to see how to do it.  Need to test it all first. Thanks

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Just a quick update I’ve build my Arduino CNC based on and tested it using the information from this site http://blog.protoneer.co.nz/arduino-cnc-controller/
I can video it running 3 motors to prove it all works if anyone’s interested.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: