Go Down

Topic: Google Chromebook and Arduino IDE support (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic

ptolematic

Hey, I was thinking about the Chromebook too and this has been a question for me, whetherr it will work or not. I know that you can partition Linux to a Chromebook. There appatently are a few flaws with it right now, the sound doesnt work and a few things like that. So my theory is that I can use the Arduino with Linux on the Chromebook. Just a theory because I havent tested it yet.

rsk22

I just recently bought a Samsung Google Chromebook.  Before I bought the laptop, I knew that Chrome OS could not support Arduino code development.  If I knew more about advanced computer programming, I would consider making the app.  However, I hope the large and ambitious Arduino community will make an app soon.  As some of the other users have mentioned, one could use a remote desktop application to run the Arduinio IDE from a Chromebook, but I do not see that being very useful. 

johnwasser

Try codebender.cc:

"online development & collaboration platform for Arduino users, makers and engineers"

"Code: Awesome editor, fast cloud-based compiler, helpful error reporting. Code faster and easier
"Deploy: Connect your Arduino via USB, or program your Arduino Ethernet remotely over the network.
"Share: Share your work, search for existing projects and clone them, or collaborate with others.

I have not tried it myself but it's probably your best bet if you want to do Arduino development with only a  smartphone, tablet, or chromebook.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

rsk22

Try codebender.cc:

"online development & collaboration platform for Arduino users, makers and engineers"

"Code: Awesome editor, fast cloud-based compiler, helpful error reporting. Code faster and easier
"Deploy: Connect your Arduino via USB, or program your Arduino Ethernet remotely over the network.
"Share: Share your work, search for existing projects and clone them, or collaborate with others.

I have not tried it myself but it's probably your best bet if you want to do Arduino development with only a  smartphone, tablet, or chromebook.

Unfortunately, codebender.cc is not supported by the Samsung Chromebook. 

rsk22

So, I think I might have found a way to install the Arduino IDE on the Google Samsung Chromebook.  Google: "Microcontroller Development on Samsung (ARM) Chromebook".  The first link should be the website you are looking for.  I have not tried this yet, however I believe it should work.  Basically, the author suggests installing a Linux OS onto the Chromebook.  Once the Linux OS is installed, the user then can install the Arduino IDE. Thoughts?  If anyone does try this, the offer recommends backing up the Chrome OS on a thumb drive or flash drive with at least 4 GB. 

Go Up