Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Connecting to "dry contact (n.o.)" input on pin/prox reader  (Read 1089 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I've purchased a PIN/proximity card reader with the following connections:

+5V to +16V DC (80mA max)
Ground
Data 1/Clock
Data 0/Data
LED Control
Tamper

The LED control connection is a single wire and is specified as a "Dry Contact (N.O.)" input.

What does this mean and how would I connect this to an Arduino?  Should I be testing with a multimeter first to work out if it's safe to connect to my Arduino, and if so, what am I testing for and between which connectors?

If it matters, the reader is a Rosslare AY-Q65.

Thanks,
Mark

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

The LED control connection is a single wire and is specified as a "Dry Contact (N.O.)" input.
If you run your reader off 5V then you can connect it directly to the arduino. If you run it off anything else then you need a transistor to protect the arduino output from the high voltage.

It looks like you have a Weagand reader do you know how to interface that?

View Profile

If you run your reader off 5V then you can connect it directly to the arduino. If you run it off anything else then you need a transistor to protect the arduino output from the high voltage.

Thanks - I'll run it off 5V and connect it directly to an Arduino digital output.  Then I'll see what the reader does with the pin high and with the pin low... there are two tri-colour LEDs on the reader, so it'll be interesting to see what it does.

It looks like you have a Weagand reader do you know how to interface that?

That one I understand - it just gets connected to a pair of digital inputs.  Presumably if I'm running the reader on 5V (which I'm planning to), there shouldn't be a problem connecting it directly to the arduino's digital inputs.  I've found a few code examples (such as http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Crazy_People.html) which I should be able to use or adapt to my purposes.

Thanks,
Mark

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Then I'll see what the reader does with the pin high and with the pin low
My guess is it will be red when it's high and green when it is low. To get yellow waggle the bit up and down.

View Profile

My guess is it will be red when it's high and green when it is low. To get yellow waggle the bit up and down.

You're absolutely right!  I've connected the LED control input of the reader to digital pin 13 of the Arduino and run the "blink" example sketch.  This makes one of the tri-colour LEDs alternate between green and red.  Removing the delay(1000) instructions from the sketch turns it orange.

The other tri-colour LED seems to be for the reader's "programming mode" and is not controllable from the Arduino.

Thanks again for your help!

Minnesota!
My nickname on the forum used to be Soapy29.
View Profile

Nice keypad. I have a HID ProxyPoint 6005 and I have no clue how to program it to my Arduino Uno. It has 2 wires for led's, one for red and one for green. It also has wires like data0/data, data1/clock, beep, and power. How do I get mine started?

Andrew K.

View Profile

Nice keypad. I have a HID ProxyPoint 6005 and I have no clue how to program it to my Arduino Uno. It has 2 wires for led's, one for red and one for green. It also has wires like data0/data, data1/clock, beep, and power. How do I get mine started?

If you run it off 5V, you should be able to connect the beep and LED wires directly to digital outputs.  My guess is that the LED outputs will produce the following results:

both outputs low = LED controlled by reader
green low, red high = LED red
red low, green high = LED green
red high, green high = LED orange

The beep I'm guessing will sound if you go high on that pin.

The data0/data and data1/clock wires should be connected to digital inputs.  Looks like that reader comes in two models.  If you've got the weigand model, you should be able to connect data0 and data1 up to pins 5 and 4 (respectively) and start with the crazy people code I linked to in an earlier post.  I haven't played with the clock+data interface of mine so I can't necessarily help if you have that model, though perhaps a variation of http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShiftIn would work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: