Go Down

Topic: RadioShack is listening so shout out arduino if you want! (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

RuggedCircuits

Frankly, I'd prefer if they carried a larger selection of jellybean components: R's, C's, L's, NPN's, PNP's, MOSFET's, op-amps, etc. (and no, $2.29 for two 2n3904's is not going to cut it either). Waiting to buy an Arduino product and paying shipping for it seems reasonable somehow, but when you want a 15k resistor NOW it just doesn't make sense to wait 3 days and pay $5 in shipping.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

focalist

That's the key, Radio Shack..

Out here on the East coast they have totally removed components and are now nothing more than Verizon outlets, with staff having the requisite knowlege to download Angry Birds and nothing more.  Only one Radio Shack in the area stocks components at all, and then of course it's the Radio Shack prices.

None of us have any love for Radio Shack, it's the convenience that used to make them relevant, and now that's pretty much gone too.  Sadly, the remaining "display" of real electronic merchandise is in this steel drawer arrangement that is by far the worst use of retail space I've ever seen other than the spot where the clerk was standing at any given moment.

Stock some basic components, heck even charge me twice the going rate for the convenience.  When your prices are just plain Gouging (the "They can't get it someplace else" mentality), you are going to lose business.  I can now order components direct from Hong Kong and have them delivered the next day to my doorstep, at prices that reveal just how badly RS has been taking advantage of what used to be their bread and butter, the hobbyist community.

The last thing ANYONE needs is another damn cell phone store.
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

justjed

None of us have any love for Radio Shack, it's the convenience that used to make them relevant, and now that's pretty much gone too.

I'm not going to say I 'love' them, but the one closest to me has had the stuff I needed every time I've gone there. No, the selection isn't like, for example, the long gone Gateway Electronics. But just this week, I've gone there for flux paste and de-solder braid. As a guy just getting back into fooling with electronics, I don't have a bunch of parts bins with common stuff, and like Rugged, I'm not going to pay more in shipping than the price of the parts.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Kaouthia

Radio Shack in the UK isn't much better.  The one local to us is tiny, rarely has anything useful.  Most of the components lining its shelves have likely been there for months, if not longer, as evidenced by packs that have been sitting under the hot shoplights so long, the glue has ceased to work, and blister packs are now often held together with tape.

Most of the useful stuff our local shop does carry I can get online for 1/10th of the price or less, and get it next day delivery with free shipping.

I generally find it easier and cheaper to order a 50 or 100 pack of something from Rapid or Proto-Pic (or Chinese eBay sellers if it's something I can be patient about) than to buy 3 or 4 of that same thing at the local RS - assuming they actually have it in the store.
John

liudr

Just being clear, I don't like RadioShack at all. There are apparently many reasons they're not liked by many. I am just thinking that if we shout arduino enough and they might listen. They have many stores over the globe so if they carry arduino then it's going to be a good thing for arduino to see the mass public.

Jack Christensen

...but when you want a 15k resistor NOW it just doesn't make sense to wait 3 days and pay $5 in shipping.

It seems I can always figure enough stuff to order to make the shipping worthwhile. Of course that doesn't solve the three day problem!

The last thing ANYONE needs is another damn cell phone store.

Hear, hear!  :D
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Kaouthia

It seems I can always figure enough stuff to order to make the shipping worthwhile. Of course that doesn't solve the three day problem!

That's one thing I love about Rapid's website here in the UK.  You can add some items to your cart, and then save your cart to your profile.  So, as I find random things while researching on here and the rest of the web, stuff that I know I'll be needing soon or just want to have a play with, I'll go find it on Rapid, add it to my cart, then save the cart (they last in your profile for 60 days, but at any point, you can add a saved cart to your current cart, save it out and refresh your 60 days).  Once I have enough saved carts that I meet the minimum cost for free shipping, I load 'em all up into my basket, checkout, and get a bunch of new toys the next day.

It also means I get a little time to reflect on my potential purchases to find out I didn't need that item I added to a saved cart last week after all. :)
John

TonyD

Radio Shack in the UK isn't much better.  The one local to us is tiny, rarely has anything useful.  Most of the components lining its shelves have likely been there for months, if not longer, as evidenced by packs that have been sitting under the hot shoplights so long, the glue has ceased to work, and blister packs are now often held together with tape.

Most of the useful stuff our local shop does carry I can get online for 1/10th of the price or less, and get it next day delivery with free shipping.

I generally find it easier and cheaper to order a 50 or 100 pack of something from Rapid or Proto-Pic (or Chinese eBay sellers if it's something I can be patient about) than to buy 3 or 4 of that same thing at the local RS - assuming they actually have it in the store.

Wow, I didn't know that Radio Shack was still operating in the UK. I thought they had all been turned into mobile phone stores when Car Phone Warehouse bought the chain about 10 years ago. Locally (in Newcastle) we have Maplins :( and ESR components :)

I agree with you about Rapid Electronics for price and service, I've been using them for years without complaint

Kaouthia

Wow, I didn't know that Radio Shack was still operating in the UK.

Yeah, I didn't either til we moved here, hadn't seen a Radio Shack or a Tandy in years.

There used to be a Tandy where I grew up that was fantastic, had everything you could imagine and more (part of the reason I got out of electronics after high school was that Tandy had closed and I didn't know where to get components from any more).

Oddly enough, I got my first ever mobile phone from there, back before mobile companies had the reputation they do now, before the Internet was widely availble (unless you wanted 28K8 dialup and per-minute fees from both the ISP and British Telecom), before every other 5 year old out there had a mobile, before anybody knew what SMS was (I had to hold onto my pager for about 2 years after getting my mobile) and back when you could still use mobile phones for... well, making phone calls. ;)
John

bHogan

Here's a little history on RadioShack - in case someone finds it interesting.

Once upon a time, there was a company called Allied Electronics. They were the largest electronic parts supplier in the world. They had a consumer electronics division called Allied Radio. They also had a division called Knight that sold kits and assembled items.

In 1968 (when I was working there) they were bought out by Ling-Temco-Vought who, at that time, made everything from jet planes to steel, to basketballs.

Within a month or two LTV re-sold Allied to Tandy Corp. who had a chain a stores for leather-work hobbyists and a chain for bubble pack electronic parts called RadioShack. Allied was merged with RadioShack and became known as Allied-RadioShack. RadioShack continued to be the disappointing parts supplier that it is today.

Somewhere along the line a little bit of Allied Electronics was left partially in tact.

Having worked at Allied in Chicago during it's glory days, I'd admit to having a very bad attitude about RadioSh**. I do go there when I absolutely have to, but have trouble getting through the door due to the enormous chip on my shoulder.
"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."
~ Clifford Stoll

liudr

Man that was history we all need to know! Thanks for your time! Now that Circuitsh*ty and compusa are both history, I wonder if RadioSh** is the next or maybe they can sell hobby electronics to survive. I know BB silly stores will never sell hobby electronics. Training their enormous number of clerks to sell electronics parts is more impossible than getting everyone through college here:)

At least a few clerks working at RS near me know about components. Maybe they're from the nearby univ. They're not dummies by any means and look at a solder package design I demonstrated in my class to show RS has talents (I can't find it on RS website but if you pack them on a shelf, they take 50% space compared with regular packages).

Kaouthia

Within a month or two LTV re-sold Allied to Tandy Corp. who had a chain a stores for leather-work hobbyists and a chain for bubble pack electronic parts called RadioShack. Allied was merged with RadioShack and became known as Allied-RadioShack. RadioShack continued to be the disappointing parts supplier that it is today.

Aye, Tandy is what they were called here in the UK.  But that name seemed to disappear in the last 10-15 years (along with the nicely stocked decent sized stores), and now it's Radio Shack shops with limited stock popping up.
John

John Bailey

And that is the problem. It isn't their fault. Stock just does not move. It's hard for anybody in retail. Each square inch of floor space has to earn it's keep. And if a rack of components sells a few quid of stock a week, it is more expensive than a rack that sells tens of items a day. Its a reality of retail. What doesn't move doesn't get stocked. And as rent is an ongoing expense, any line that is just sitting there, is costing money.
A pack of AAA batteries is a better line that a roll of 15K resistors. So that is what they will stock. Components just don't pay. And the blister packs.. They all cost money too. For a bit of card and a plastic wrapper you are going to throw away at the first opportunity.

Here in England it seems, we are luckier than Americans. Fast postal service means we can have components delivered next day. And there are loads of UK based traders on Ebay who buy in bulk and make up hobbyist scale orders for a small markup.

100nf cap from maplin... about 30p each. if they actually have any.
50 from ebay, about a quid, and £1.10 delivery. A bit cheaper than £15 that the same number would have cost from Maplin.

Many here seem to be reluctant to buy smart.

It's a common thing with more exotic hobbies. If you need to buy supplies, you can get extortionate possibly local,but very limited and small amount supplies for daft prices, or you can go trade, and get everything in bulk. Both are too expensive, but buying in multiples is a sensible middle route. 

1 resistor.. Don't do it. 100 resistors, and you have the beginnings of a bits box that is actually useful. Go on ebay, and find the people who are selling bargain packs. If it takes a week to arrive, so what. The money you will save over the blister packed over priced singles is enough to make it worth it.

liudr

Looks like RS is a lost cause for hobby electronics. We'll see it burnt down by BB and online stores like amazon and ebay. When they go out of business, I'll be there buying their soldering iron tips and solders. They're decent price.

Go Up