Go Down

Topic: Binary Thermostat - First Project (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

This is my first arduino project.  I am not much of a programmer or an electronics guy so I am looking for some feedback.  Be as kind or cruel as you like.

FYI, I combined CIRC-02 and CIRC-10 from ladyada's experimentation kit.

Code: [Select]
int ledPins[] = {2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; // Initialize array of led pins
int temperaturePin = 0;  //Initialize temperature pin

void setup()
{
 for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++){  //set led pins as outputs
 pinMode(ledPins[i],OUTPUT);
 }
}
void loop()
{
 float tempC = getVoltage(temperaturePin);  //getting the voltage reading from the temperature sensor
 tempC = (tempC - .5) * 100;          //converting from 10 mv per degree wit 500 mV offset
 float tempF = tempC*1.8+32;         //convert C to F
 int abstempF = fabs(tempF);         // take abs value of temp in F
 if(tempF <0)                        //light red pin if temp in F is negative
   digitalWrite(ledPins[8],HIGH);
 else
   digitalWrite(ledPins[8],LOW);    //do not light red pin if temp in F is positive
 for(int i = 7; i >= 0; i--){      
 if (pow(2,i) <= abstempF) {        //converts decimal to binary one digit at a time (assumes temp in F cannot be above 127)
   digitalWrite(ledPins[i], HIGH);
   abstempF=abstempF-pow(2,i);
 }
 else
   digitalWrite(ledPins[i], LOW);
 }
 delay(1000);
}
float getVoltage(int pin){
return (analogRead(pin) * .004882814); //converting from a 0 to 1024 digital range
                                       // to 0 to 5 volts (each 1 reading equals ~ 5 millivolts
}

johnwasser

Looks pretty good.  I have a few suggestions:
Code: [Select]

//// Since these values don't change I'd recommend using the 'const' storage type.  This will allow
//// the compiler to warn you if you accidentally try to change them at run time.  It also allows for
//// better optimization because the compiler knows the values won't change.

const int ledPins[] = {2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; // Initialize array of led pins
const int temperaturePin = 0;  //Initialize temperature pin

//// Since you treat the red LED (#8) separately it might be clearer to have it in a separate declaration:
const int redLED = 10;
const int ledPins[] = {2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}; // Initialize array of led pins

void setup()
{
//// Rather than use a magic constant here you can use a formula that will always match the size of the
//// array of pins:
 for(int i = 0; i < (sizeof ledPins/sizeof ledPins[0]); i++)
////  Note that the 'sizeof' operator gives an answer in bytes. 
//// We have to divide by the size of a single element to get the array size in elements
    {  //set led pins as outputs
 pinMode(ledPins[i],OUTPUT);
 }
////  And if we treat the red LED as separate:
    pinMode(redLED, OUTPUT);
}
void loop()
{
 float tempC = getVoltage(temperaturePin);  //getting the voltage reading from the temperature sensor
 tempC = (tempC - .5) * 100;          //converting from 10 mv per degree wit 500 mV offset
 float tempF = tempC*1.8+32;         //convert C to F
 int abstempF = fabs(tempF);         // take abs value of temp in F

if(tempF <0)                        //light red pin if temp in F is negative
   digitalWrite(redLED,HIGH);
 else
   digitalWrite(redLED,LOW);    //do not light red pin if temp in F is positive

////  Since HIGH and LOW are synonyms for 'true' and 'false' this can simplify to:
    digitalWrite(redLED, tempF < 0);  // Light the red LED if the temperature is below 0

for(int i = 7; i >= 0; i--){      
////
//// WARNING: the pow() function works on float values and the conversions can cause round-off errors
//// For integer powers of 2 it is best to use the left shift operator <<
////
 if ((1<<i) <= abstempF) {        //converts decimal to binary one digit at a time (assumes temp in F cannot be above 127)
   digitalWrite(ledPins[i], HIGH);

////  When you have something that looks like "variable = variable op value" you can use the C shorthand assignment operators;
////
////   X = X + Y;  can be written X += Y;
////   X = X - Y;  can be written X -= Y;
////   X = X * Y;  can be written X *= Y;
////
   abstempF -= (i<<i);
 }
 else
   digitalWrite(ledPins[i], LOW);
 }
 delay(1000);
}
float getVoltage(int pin){
return (analogRead(pin) * .004882814); //converting from a 0 to 1024 digital range
                                       // to 0 to 5 volts (each 1 reading equals ~ 5 millivolts
}

[/quote]
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

bsautner

Hi Dan looks good,

I was just passing by and noticed your post. If you want to have some fun with this, I have an open source project going where you could add a few lines of code to this and post your values onto the nimbits data logger system (www.nimbits.com) and your temps can be relayed onto twitter, facebook, email alerts etc.

Anyway I just noticed that your arduino code is similar enough to what I posted under the arduino example on nimbits.com and since it's connected to an ethernet shield it should be pretty easy. Just thought i'd mention it.

- Ben

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy