Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: recurrent avrdude problem - protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51  (Read 379 times)
Robots love Arduinos
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm getting the

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

error messages with an Arduino Duemilanove that I've been using for months without problem. I've read most of the threads about the problem and the trouble-shooting guide. Nothing that I've tried seems to have helped.

I was playing with as short sketch to get sound from an 8 ohm speaker. The sketch has pin 3 connected to an 100k ohm linear potentiometerr with the wiper connected to the red lead on the speaker and the black lead to the Arduino ground.  I was getting sound from the speaker for awhile and then the above problem started.

I can accept that in my electronic ignorance I may have fried the atmega328.  What I'd like to know is:  Is it likely that replacing the chip with the bootloader will fix the problem?

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

what was the resistance of the speaker? 8 ohm or ....?

With the potmeter completely to one side you got only the speaker between GND and the 5V => At 8 ohm  you got 5Volt/8 ohm ~= 625mA ==  bit too much.

Probably you need to replace the 328 chip with another one.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: