Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Gmail; Usb; More? Questions  (Read 1252 times)
Minnesota!
My nickname on the forum used to be Soapy29.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi. I've been looking at some stuff latly, and I'd like to know how to check Gmail and know a certain sender and subject, via USB. You don't have to spoon it to me, just a little nudge in the right direction would be good.

Example: I email my self with a subject line of 2169. It will only look for the sender "myemail" and the subject "2169", and then will exicute a sertain task. That's what I'm trying to do via usb.

Andrew K.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

USB hints that your computer will run an application as a go between in the operation. Have you developed this application?

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

From your other thread,

So do I used Python? I mean, I've never used Python and I'd like this to get off the ground. How do I learn it?
Check - www.python.org -

In the left column there is documentation and a free compiler to download.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Minnesota!
My nickname on the forum used to be Soapy29.
View Profile

Do you think I should just invest in an Ethernet shield?

Andrew K.

Arlington, MA, USA
View Profile

You should decide whether you want the device to be tethered to a computer, or if it's important that it be able to function on its own.

View Profile

You should decide whether you want the device to be tethered to a computer, or if it's important that it be able to function on its own.

This.

You basically have two options:

1) Write some sort of computer application (in whatever language you want - Python, Processing, C, Java, Perl, etc.) that grabs a webpage (Gmail in this case), scans it for certain data (your heade info) and sends data out via a USB/serial port to the Arduino.  The Arduino then does whatever you need with it.

Pros: Analyzing a web page is likely easier with a "real" PC-based application than with the much more limited Arduino.  For that matter, there may be some sort of Google-provided API that may make talking to Gmail even easier.

Cons: You need a PC (with this app installed) to always be connected to the Arduino for your project to work.

2) Connect the Arduino to the internet (via an EtherShield, or WiFi shield, etc.), and then have the Arduino grab the webpage and process it.

Pros:  The project is computer independent, you can plug it into any network (or hook up to any WiFi hotspot, etc.) and it'll work.

Cons: Likely much harder to code, though there may be libraries out there for the Arduino to make it easier.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd start with option 1 (using whatever language I'm already familiar with), get everything else working, than consider switching to option 2.  YMMV.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: