Go Down

Topic: Swing Detection using tilt switches (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

thatdecade

Reference: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,48819.0.html

Been thinking about that referenced old thread for the last few days, this afternoon I drew up the diagram below.  Idea being to make a toy sword circuit that can reliably detect swinging motions and not be confused when the sword simply tilted in one direction or another.

I have done this project in the past with an accelerometer, worked really well.  Problem being that accelerometer prices keep going up.  I went to buy an accelerometer last weekend and found my chip of choice increased to over $20, yikes.  Is a little much for a 1cm square.

swing_motions by thatdecade, on Flickr

Ok, so swing detection occurs on double state changes that occur in under X time.  Double state changes can be defined as a single switch changing twice or either switch changing once.  Additionally, like mentioned in that thread I would need some debouncing so I would throw out any swing events that were detected below Y time.

I am thinking 300ms for X and 50ms for Y.  Am going to buy a big bag of tilt sensors soon and test out my theory.

RuggedCircuits

I have done this project in the past with an accelerometer, worked really well.  Problem being that accelerometer prices keep going up.  I went to buy an accelerometer last weekend and found my chip of choice increased to over $20, yikes.

You may be chasing a "dinosaur". When chips go obsolete their prices tend to rise, this is a sign that something better/faster/cheaper has come out and there's really no reason to stick with that chip. For example, an MMA7660 accelerometer is only about $1. Would that work?

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

thatdecade

Probably, but I am not interested in accelerometers right now.  I know it is not as accurate as an accelerometer, but I really want to see this tilt switch concept work.

thatdecade

Jun 08, 2011, 02:08 am Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011, 02:10 am by thatdecade Reason: 1
Came up with a testing rig.  What I'm seeing is a double state change on both inputs, which I find interesting and unexpected.  My sketches above didn't take into account the stopping forces at the end of a swing.

The current rig has too much noise. I need to cut the wiring on all but two tilt switches and gather data from each angle XY pair individually.

Picture from before I finished all the wiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHZVL-YbwE

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy