Go Down

Topic: Would anyone be interested in how to make a <$100 11*11*11 Bi-color LedCUBE? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Techone

@CrossRoads

In that case, it is possible

@retrolefty

I check your old post, I copy you code into the IDE, save it.  I will study the code to see how you do it. I assuming you use shift register to display the cube. Right ?

It a cool project to make.

retrolefty

I check your old post, I copy you code into the IDE, save it.  I will study the code to see how you do it. I assuming you use shift register to display the cube. Right ?

Correct. However different from the PIC schematic, I wired the 25 led columns to the most significant 25 bit of the 32 bit shift register ( 2 16 bit registers wired in series) rather then the least significant 25 bits of the register, so I shift out a complete 32 bit long variable for each 'level' update. I had did that in case in the future I wanted to take advantage of those extra 7 output bits, perhaps to drive a 5 digit seven segment display.

PS: whatever leds you decide on be sure to use the diffused varity, as the brighter clear leds have a narrower 'field of view' and won't look nearly as good in a cube application. You can sand leds to diffuse them but that's a lot of sandpaper and elbow grease, better to just buy the right ones to begin. E-bay Asian sellers have killer good prices on bulk leds.

Lefty

Techone

I  am more interrest to build RGB  3 X 3 X 3 ( a possiblility ) .  A bit easier to solder than  a 11 X 11 X 11.  and cheaper. The cube will look cool , specially display/show the cube in the living room as a decorative show piece, just like my 1/25 scale model kits <-- one of my hobbies.

Thank retrolefty for your tips. About your program, I will study it and use some of the programing techniques in my projects. ( you own version of shiftOut(). 

TECH GEEK

As always... Thanks for posting!!!

Techone

Yes, I did.  It is expensive, close to $70     :smiley-eek:    , I will built it a bit cheaper ;)

TECH GEEK

I think ebay has 125x rgb led's for less than $30 I bought 200 for $40 there once
then u could make a rgb 5*5*5 cube
As always... Thanks for posting!!!

Go Up