Go Down

Topic: Would anyone be interested in how to make a <$100 11*11*11 Bi-color LedCUBE? (Read 2085 times) previous topic - next topic

Techone

@CrossRoads

In that case, it is possible

@retrolefty

I check your old post, I copy you code into the IDE, save it.  I will study the code to see how you do it. I assuming you use shift register to display the cube. Right ?

It a cool project to make.

retrolefty

I check your old post, I copy you code into the IDE, save it.  I will study the code to see how you do it. I assuming you use shift register to display the cube. Right ?

Correct. However different from the PIC schematic, I wired the 25 led columns to the most significant 25 bit of the 32 bit shift register ( 2 16 bit registers wired in series) rather then the least significant 25 bits of the register, so I shift out a complete 32 bit long variable for each 'level' update. I had did that in case in the future I wanted to take advantage of those extra 7 output bits, perhaps to drive a 5 digit seven segment display.

PS: whatever leds you decide on be sure to use the diffused varity, as the brighter clear leds have a narrower 'field of view' and won't look nearly as good in a cube application. You can sand leds to diffuse them but that's a lot of sandpaper and elbow grease, better to just buy the right ones to begin. E-bay Asian sellers have killer good prices on bulk leds.

Lefty

Techone

I  am more interrest to build RGB  3 X 3 X 3 ( a possiblility ) .  A bit easier to solder than  a 11 X 11 X 11.  and cheaper. The cube will look cool , specially display/show the cube in the living room as a decorative show piece, just like my 1/25 scale model kits <-- one of my hobbies.

Thank retrolefty for your tips. About your program, I will study it and use some of the programing techniques in my projects. ( you own version of shiftOut(). 

TECH GEEK

As always... Thanks for posting!!!

Techone

Yes, I did.  It is expensive, close to $70     :smiley-eek:    , I will built it a bit cheaper ;)

TECH GEEK

I think ebay has 125x rgb led's for less than $30 I bought 200 for $40 there once
then u could make a rgb 5*5*5 cube
As always... Thanks for posting!!!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy