Go Down

Topic: ArduIMU + XBee OR MiniBee + 3-axis gyro? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

So I'm working on a project that requires a 3-axis accel, 3-axis gyro wireless setup.

I'm prototyping using Wii Motion+, but want to settle in on XBee-based hardware in the end.

What would be an easier road to go down?

Using an ArduIMU+ ($99)

And attaching an XBee to it (connecting TX/RX/3.3v/Gnd). ($23)

Using a MiniBee ($49)

And attaching a 3-axis gyro to it: ($49)

(I know the second setup still needs an XBee ($23) attached to it, but it has the appropriate headers in place so it's just a drop in)

I didn't realize how expensive 3-axis gyro boards were on their own($49?!), otherwise the MiniBee would be a no-brainer.

I did look into maybe hacking a wii motion+ dongle as the 3-axis gyro (as these are quite cheap($15-20)) but it uses i2c, which means I would have to reprogram the MiniBee in order to read the wm+ (?).
Here's the link I found on that:

Since I live in the UK the MiniBee boards are pretty cheap, it's the 3-axis gyro boards that would be expensive. The ArduIMU+ is the most expensive, but has everything built in (barring the XBee).
Both are fairly elegant hardware solutions (arduino+xbee for MiniBee and arduino+sensors for ArduIMU) but both will require some added hardware/dangly bits.

Both of them would have an XBee + USB Explorer on the receiving end (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8687).

Quite late before I see this message (not much of a forum person myself), but given example I2C code to interface with a WiiMotePlus, it should be quite easy to add that functionality to the Sense/Stage MiniBee firmware.

Did you consider the Arduino Fio? Seems like it would save you $25.

How about the same gyro from SeeedStudio (ITG-3200)? Its $10 less, with 5V support - perhaps not a good match for the Fio.

Looks like there are a few other options out there to meet your requirements.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131