Go Down

Topic: Which bootloader for / from UNO? (Read 617 times) previous topic - next topic

DaveyK

Hi All,
Many thanks for all the tips and help I've been lapping up from the forum so far. As you guessed i'm new on here and fairly new to Arduino.

I'm currently using the original UNO board for development work on a few mini projects to date but I've reached the stage where I don't want to sacrifice my board to a more permenant installation.

I know there is a great deal of stuff written in this post http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP on using the UNO as a bootloader for subsequent chip... some contrasting findings / advice so I've come to the conclusion to try it and see what happens.

What i'm wanting is a little clarity on my general approach. The installation I'm currently working on has no need for serial comms so I was planning on taking the chip out of my UNO board, putting in the new one, uploading the sketch then swapping the chip out to the standalone. Will this work or am I missing the mark.

If this is OK, I see I have 2 options. 1) buy a chip with the bootloader allready on. 2) put the bootloader on myself (using the above link for guidance).

What are the issues for compatability between different bootloaders, eg Duemilanove vs UNO vs Diecimila. Will bootloaders from the other systems work in the UNO board?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Dave

johnwasser

The bootloaders are built for a specific ATmega chip.  If you are programming an ATmega328 then you would select a board that uses the ATmega328 before you select Burn Bootloader.  It doesn't matter what ISP you are using to do the burning.

Be sure to disable the auto-reset on the UNO after you install ArduinoISP.  You don't want the Burn Bootloader process to reset your UNO and start talking to the UNO's bootloader!
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

DaveyK

Many thanks for the reply John.

Dave

DaveyK

Just had a further thought.

If I get a new chip, (atmega328). and put it in my UNO board. I can then:

1) burn a bootloader directly, right?
2) If thats ok I can then upload a sketch no problem.
3) I could then remove the chip and transfer to the standalone.

I suspect things can't be this simple otherwise there wouldn't be long thread on this forum of how to get the bootloader onto the chip but please could someone explain in basic terms why this is not possible.... I suspect at step 1.

johnwasser

If I get a new chip, (atmega328). and put it in my UNO board. I can then:
1) burn a bootloader directly, right?

If you put your blank chip in the UNO, where are you going to run ArduinoISP?  :)

You need a working Arduino running ArduinoISP (or some other ISP programmer) to burn a bootloader on a blank chip. 

You can use almost any simple Arduino board to put your chip in while you program it:
RBBB ($13) http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/rbbb-kit
Barebones AVR dev. board ($12) http://adafruit.com/products/174
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Go Up