Go Down

Topic: Ethernet on Arduino Mini (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

luxxtek

Has anybody ever tried to connect the Wiznet W5100 ethershield (NOT the MEGA compatible version) to an Arduino Mini ?

www.freeduino.eu/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=79

I would like to make both work together for a reduce space project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 
Arduino leren ? ArdLab Gent - Lid van de STEM-Academie - www.ardlab.gent

johnwasser

Since the W5100 uses SPI you should be able to hook up the four SPI pins, power and ground and be good to go.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

luxxtek

You mean to connect pins 10 - 13 of the ethershield to pins 10-13 of the mini ?

The ethershield does not have the SPI connector, it's the old version (not MEGA compatible).

I'll need to make 3.3 V power supply too as the mini does not have it, looks like the ethershield really needs the 3.3 V

johnwasser

Yes, pins 10-13 for SPI (unless Slave Select uses a pin other than 10), Ground, and Power.  Check your shield.  It might already have a 3.3v regulator connected to +5v.  At least one of the older Ethernet shield designs has the regulator on-board.

Since the Ethernet shield is almost as large as a traditional Arduino do you really save much space with a Mini?
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

luxxtek

I'll gain a lot in height, but not in surface, that's correct.
I have 2 mini's that i've never used, now I'm doing a home automation project and I'm trying to use the mini's for this project.

KMPDigital

Hey all. Just yesterday I posted this as well. I connected all the pins from the mini to the Ethernet shield and still no go. I'm running the pro mini off of USB power. should i hook it up to a 3.3v. Thanks

luxxtek

What shield are you using ?

Go Up