Go Down

Topic: Help needed for small project (Read 891 times) previous topic - next topic

freespeech21

Apr 23, 2011, 09:29 pm Last Edit: Apr 23, 2011, 09:37 pm by freespeech21 Reason: 1
I have a tilt sensing compass CMPS09 and EM408 GPS Receiver Built On An Arduino Uno.
I am trying to calculate true north (when device is moving) say once a week…
and use this calculation to pin point to the sun position in the sky.
The code for sun position is out there…
I just need to compute true north and GPS position to pass on the details to a calculation to compute the position of the sun…
I will be using two stepper motors to position a flat panel at the sun.
I would be willing to pay for someone to put this together… All the code is out there it just needs putting together…
Thanks….

Bainesbunch

Do you have a 360 deg servo then ?, code is not too much of a problem but the mechanics might be based on the fact that your mobile device could actually be pointing in any direction and you would need to be able to rotate 360 deg to face south.

Happy to help though if you want.

Cheers Pete.
EmbeddedAT .. From Concept to Prototype to Production

Electronics and firmware design and project mentoring

freespeech21

Yep can point anywhere…
360 turnaround...

Bainesbunch

OK so can we start be specifying what quadrature of the earth you are intending to use this in. It help to make the look up tables smaller. Also you are aware that magnetic declination is a variant and changes, however not enough to effect this project I hope.

So this has a few parts, we need the GPS to give us our lat/lon I suggest that we use the default output so that we are not messing about with projections etc and leave it in WGS 84. The inclination of the sun it obviously a variant according to the location and time of day (local) and this means that we must also be able to calculate the level of the platform that the device is sitting on.

Perhaps you could explain your project a little further so that i can consider what your options are. Please feel free to PM me if you are not happy about our correspondence sitting in the public domain.

Cheers Pete.
EmbeddedAT .. From Concept to Prototype to Production

Electronics and firmware design and project mentoring

Go Up