Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: [SOLVED] - Using USBTinyISP  (Read 617 times)
Chile
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I started using my new to program some developments into ATMEGA micros. So I connected the device to a target board like this

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/avrtargetboards

and after changing the upload parameter of the Arduino IDE 22 was able to upload sketches into the micros.
They worked, but they were very slow.
So trough help in this forum I found out that I had to change the fuses for the micro to use the external cristal. Burning the bootloader sounded like a good solution to do that. I connected everything again and selected the Burn Bootloader with USBTiny of the Arduino IDE.
This ended promptly with this error:

Code:
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

And after that the micro died: I was never able to communicate with it again, either to upload a sketch or burn the bootloader, or to run a sketch.

The USBTiny board is still alive, because it killed other 2 micros following similar steps, aways after trying to burn the bootloader smiley-mad

Sure is, I´m th one to blame for this USB-killing. Waht did I wrong?
Is it possible to burn the bootloader and the sketches using the USBTiny without an external oscilator? My theory is that when I tried to burn the bootloader using the Aarduino Ide, it changed the CKSEL fuse, and now the micro is expecting an external oscilator to work and establish a connection with the USBTiny. Is this possible or is just nonsense of a newbie writing late into the night? And if its true, how can I solve it? Should I attach a 16MHz Xtal and 22pf capacitors to the XTal pins in the target board?

Please have mercy with this 3 Atmegas and help me getting them back to life! smiley-cry

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:58:30 am by pgmartin » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Do the target processors (the ones you are trying to program) have an external crystal and capacitors connected?

Chile
View Profile

Do the target processors (the ones you are trying to program) have an external crystal and capacitors connected?

Not in the board I´m using to burn. They do have them in their final target board.

I´ve installed one and problem solved.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:58:57 am by pgmartin » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: