Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: IDE - Multiple library locations support  (Read 1149 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am planning to add support for the IDE so that multiple library locations can be used when compiling a project. This way, libraries would be easier to track and update across multiple projects.

Reason:
When the Arduino IDE is installed into /usr/share/arduino/ it is difficalt to add 3rd party libraries, if not imposible when you don't have admin.

How:
Besides using the default 'arduino/libraries/' location I would also like to use '~/.arduino/libraries/'.

Any feed-back or requests?

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

From - http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Libraries -

If you're using one of these libraries, you need to install it first. To do so, download the library and unzip it. It should be in a folder of its own, and will typically contain at least two files, one with a .h suffix and one with a .cpp suffix. Open your Arduino sketchbook folder. If there is already a folder there called libraries, place the library folder in there. If not, create a folder called libraries in the sketchbook folder, and drop the library folder in there. Then re-start the Arduino programming environment, and you should see your new library in the Sketch > Import Library menu.

So, you can put libraries in your sketchbook besides your project folders, no need for admin rights I assume (although I never used Arduino under Linux)

Rob

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

I do understand that is an option when using 3rd party libraries. When I am creating and using libraries at the same time, I don't want to have to update every project after something is changed. This could be done by creating symbolic links, but this can only be done using *nix systems.

Use case:
I am creating a WiiRemote library to help teach programming to some at a FIRST club at a local highschool. It is rather rough right now and I plan to clean it up soon. They are already using it for several projects, but I would like it so that they could just pull from my git repo when I add improvements.

To be honest, I use vim and scon when working with the Arduino platform. This just seemed to a nice feature to add to the IDE and I wanted to contribute to this awesome project. Maybe I should do something off the to-do list...

P.S. sorry for the long time between post, life got crazy for awhile smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: