Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Programming for a custom LED matrix / display  (Read 3175 times)
Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have been using Sprint Layout for pcbs for a while now, it was only about $40 I recall, I didn't like auto-route on most packages I tried, so routed manually anyway, so this has been OK.
Its very basic in that when you move a component the trace doesnt move with it, but I have since downloaded http://www.designspark.com/pcb which looks interesting, and has some nice reviews .
 I havn't had a chance to even try it yet with so many projects on the go, but I like the price - its FREE.

If anyone has tried it I would like to hear how it works, as I hate wasting time learning a new program that will not work for me.

I hope to finish the remote this morning, and will put some pics up.

I hope to also finish a 4 digit version of this today, it uses the same scanning idea, but doesn't use the 4017s, just 4 pins of the micro to select the bcd switches in turn..
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:19:07 am by Boffin1 » Logged

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

Kicad also looks interesting, if anyones tried it?

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Lot of folks were praising kicad, haven't tried it myself.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Boston, MA
View Profile

I just tried designspark under Ubuntu 10.04.2 Wine 1.2.  It crashed after about 5 min when I was attempting to move a window splitter bar.  I have a dual screen display so perhaps my setup is not well tested...

http://www.toastedcircuits.com Lightuino LED driver: 16 sources, 70 sinks, remote controlled.  Also high powered LED drivers.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

Thats nice to know Andrew,  I have downloaded the Kincad, and will check that when I catch up

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

I wrote last week

"Apart from during initial testing after soldering, where some have failed, in the last 10,000 LEDs used I have not had one failure reported ( I might be sorry I said that :-) ) "

Stupid, stupid, stupid  smiley-evil

I had to fix a problem on Saturday on a LED sign on the roof of a hotel, and guess what, there was one string of LEDs unlit !
One LED was open circuit, and of course I didn't have a spare, so I just shorted it out, so the other 4 in the chain are going to be pushing the limit ( like the old Christmas tree lights once they start popping  smiley-confuse  )

Nobody has noticed yet, each segment has 20 LEDs so its not too obvious.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Ooh, that sucks!
One of my scoring machines is like that. Has 20 LEDs in strings. 1 LED in 1 string does not work, one LED dropping  a little too much voltage I guess. Just left alone as they're not close to 20mA anyway (was way too bright!).

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: