Go Down

Topic: Programming for a custom LED matrix / display (Read 3372 times) previous topic - next topic

Boffin1

Jun 10, 2011, 09:16 am Last Edit: Jun 10, 2011, 09:19 am by Boffin1 Reason: 1
I have been using Sprint Layout for pcbs for a while now, it was only about $40 I recall, I didn't like auto-route on most packages I tried, so routed manually anyway, so this has been OK.
Its very basic in that when you move a component the trace doesnt move with it, but I have since downloaded http://www.designspark.com/pcb which looks interesting, and has some nice reviews .
I havn't had a chance to even try it yet with so many projects on the go, but I like the price - its FREE.

If anyone has tried it I would like to hear how it works, as I hate wasting time learning a new program that will not work for me.

I hope to finish the remote this morning, and will put some pics up.

I hope to also finish a 4 digit version of this today, it uses the same scanning idea, but doesn't use the 4017s, just 4 pins of the micro to select the bcd switches in turn..
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Boffin1

Kicad also looks interesting, if anyones tried it?

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

CrossRoads

Lot of folks were praising kicad, haven't tried it myself.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

I just tried designspark under Ubuntu 10.04.2 Wine 1.2.  It crashed after about 5 min when I was attempting to move a window splitter bar.  I have a dual screen display so perhaps my setup is not well tested...
http://www.toastedcircuits.com Lightuino LED driver: 16 sources, 70 sinks, remote controlled.  Also high powered LED drivers.

Boffin1

Thats nice to know Andrew,  I have downloaded the Kincad, and will check that when I catch up

Boffin1

I wrote last week

"Apart from during initial testing after soldering, where some have failed, in the last 10,000 LEDs used I have not had one failure reported ( I might be sorry I said that :-) ) "

Stupid, stupid, stupid  ]:)

I had to fix a problem on Saturday on a LED sign on the roof of a hotel, and guess what, there was one string of LEDs unlit !
One LED was open circuit, and of course I didn't have a spare, so I just shorted it out, so the other 4 in the chain are going to be pushing the limit ( like the old Christmas tree lights once they start popping  :~  )

Nobody has noticed yet, each segment has 20 LEDs so its not too obvious.

CrossRoads

Ooh, that sucks!
One of my scoring machines is like that. Has 20 LEDs in strings. 1 LED in 1 string does not work, one LED dropping  a little too much voltage I guess. Just left alone as they're not close to 20mA anyway (was way too bright!).
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up