Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino IDE suggestion  (Read 1111 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Gentleman,
  After having programmed for over 25 years (in C and asm) one thing that I have come
to appreciated (and the Arduino does not have) is a single step process for troubleshooting.
I have recently been trying to troubleshoot several programs that a friend wrote 2 years ago.
The problem is that he used ARDUINO 0012 to compile them and wouldnt you know it that wont run
on my Windoze 7 will not load or run this version. One of the programs has a small sequence error
that could probably be isolated very easily if I could single step through the program.

Also in another effort to compile one of the other program with 0018  or 0022 which are the two
versions I have loaded I keep getting an "undefined reference" error for both   setup()  and
loop()  in MAIN.cpp. I have yet to figure out how to make this program run.  Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks

Dillon

I cant seem to get past this problem.  I have thought of actually putting MAIN into my program and see
if that fixes the problem.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I resolved the problem with MAIN.CPP

I just put void to setup and loop  as in:

void setup()
 and
  void loop()

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

(and the Arduino does not have) is a single step process for troubleshooting.
Have you looked at how big the debugger is? How do you propose to fit a debugger on the Arduino? How would you interact with the debugger? The Arduino does not have a keyboard or a monitor?

Realistic request are one thing. This is something else.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Dillon,
if you post the code maybe we can see how to port it to version 22... often it are just a few small changes ..

You said there were more sketches so just start with the smallest one, as the problems probably are similar and if we do one you can do the rest yourself,

Rob

BTW, I do my one step debugging of Arduino with paper and pencil - works very well for me smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

May be this will help:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,51910.0/topicseen.html

Turn it off!!!!
View Profile

(and the Arduino does not have) is a single step process for troubleshooting.
Have you looked at how big the debugger is? How do you propose to fit a debugger on the Arduino? How would you interact with the debugger? The Arduino does not have a keyboard or a monitor?

Realistic request are one thing. This is something else.

You do it like MPLAB for PICs.  Simulate it on the computer.  Actually, I think the "verify" should do this.  Debugging gets done before the code ever has to even touch the microcontroller.  Also, this would allow people to buy an Arduino and "program" it using the simulator before it even ships to them.

I'm going to check out virtual breadboard again, since that is supposed to offer basically what you are asking for.  To bad it has to be a large separate program.

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

A few years back there was a simulator for AVR chips. Can't remember the name of it though. smiley-sad

But, doesn't AVR Studio simulate so you can check your code?

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: