I've not built anything with Arduino yet, or electronics platforms in general, and this is a big of a lofty goal but... I'm plotting a Garden / Aquarium Controller for my first Arduino project, so far from what I've read I'd like to make it modular and separate things such as the 'controller' from say the plug that controls the solenoid and use Zigbee for communication between modules. At some point I'd like it to have a restful web service via ethernet/wifi, LCD's for monitoring, etc... So where's the right place to start, and what sorts of things I should be looking at...?
The sorts of stuff I'm thinking I'll want to do :
* LCD Interface with navigation via joystick, and basic control of functions from interface
* Probe interface for PH, or Temp, etc...
* Ethernet web service (REST)
* Relays for control of power circuits and float switches
* Wireless connectivity between 'modules'
* Alarms, timing, etc...
Ideas? Comments? lol... hopefully no flames...