Go Down

Topic: Will this Hall Effect sensor work? (Read 595 times) previous topic - next topic

paul23

I am building a circuit to calculate power consumption of appliances.  After reading a lot on here, as well as other sites, I decided that I liked the idea of these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6668185 Hall effect sensors.  The thing is, I just notice that it says the frequency bandwidth is 100KHz, does that mean they are not going to work at mains voltage frequency (50Hz) or that they are a bit overkill and will work up to 100KHz?

The circuit will be measuring 0 - 20A max, and I like these because there is a little headroom just in case.

thanks
paul..

CrossRoads

Are you in the US? Take a look at Kill-A-Watt, nice mains power measurement. Might even be able to borrow from a library (we borrowed from Sudbury, MA, then bought our own - well, the wife did, I would have made something had I known she was doing that!)
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

paul23

No I am not, I am in Spain, I do have already a very similar device, but that is not what I am trying to achieve.  This project isn´t for monitoring,  It is more of a control circuit.  I need to know how much power is being consumed in order to carry out other tasks. 

RuggedCircuits

The thing is, I just notice that it says the frequency bandwidth is 100KHz, does that mean they are not going to work at mains voltage frequency (50Hz) or that they are a bit overkill and will work up to 100KHz?

They will work at 50 Hz. The 100 kHz bandwidth is more of a measure of transient response, that is, how well they will "track" a sharp turn-on or turn-off of current. Have a look at figures 9 and 10 in the datasheet. The "step response" is directly related to the bandwidth and are probably more useful but not as easily quantified by a single number.

Did you notice they are out of stock and not expected until 08/06/11?

--
The Ruggeduino: compatible with Arduino UNO, 24V operation, all I/O's fused and protected

paul23

Thanks for that.  That is the answer I was hoping for.  I already bought it, so it doesn´t matter they are out of stock, but thanks for noticing.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy