Go Down

Topic: Mutiple RGB LEDs and sensors help! (Read 461 times) previous topic - next topic

OK, so I'm not going to lie... I'm very new to ARDUINO, and have very little progrraming experience. But I've set my mind on a project and need some help getting there...  :%

With an Arduino uno, I plan on being able to read 20 different sensors (just high, and low), and depending on what sensors are on, controlling individual RGB LED'S (of course 20 different sets). However, the project will be split up into two halfs so only 10 sensors would affect 10 RGB LED sets. That being said, having 20 sensors, with 20 different sets RBG LED'S (3 pins each) that easily over 80+ pins needed!  :smiley-eek-blue:

For instance, I plan on when all 10 sensors are high (say in the half, remember, each half only effects that half), the lights would emit a color of say blue (color right now doesn't matter, just giving one). I also would want to go more into detail with scenarios like when 6 sensors are high (4 low), those that are high would emit say green, while those low would emit yellow, or even when one high, would emit orange, and the rest low would emit red. The amount of sensors high and low, with colors aren't something I have set planned, just need something to get me started so I can play with it.  :smiley-zipper: 

Now, I've been looking into this a lot, and think shift registers would be the way to go simply because I dont have 80+ pins to work with. And I think I'd have to use serial-to-parallel for the LEDs and parallel-to-serial for the sensors, but i could be wrong. It seems the more and more I look into it though, the more and more I get confused on how the code would work. If there is an easier way than using shift registers please let me know. If not was hoping someone could help me get started or just help me with this whole thing. It gets pretty frustrating sometimes dealing with this code (at least for me). And I have NO idea how I would be able to write code dealing with number of sensors per half displaying certain colors.

Any help with code or even whatshould be used for this project would be greatly appreciated.

Terry King

OK, so I'm not going to lie... I'm very new to ARDUINO, and have very little progrraming experience. But I've set my mind on a project and need some help getting there... 

Welcome, and you are exactly the kind of person that the Arduino Community needs... 

We'll be following your project.

Tell us more about the Sensors...
Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

Welcome, and you are exactly the kind of person that the Arduino Community needs...

Thank you.

I plan on using a Honeywell HLC1395 Series Infrared Reflective Sensors, for Short Distance Detection, Transistor Output... to detect when something comes close to them.

Go Up