Go Down

Topic: Working a Piezo electric transducer (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Am having a small animal problem (dogs) and looking the create a device to generate a 20 kHz tone when a sensor is tripped.

The sensor is an easy part (using a PIR), but I can't seem to find out how to run the Piezo transducer from my Arduino.

Was thinking of something like this :

Specs from the ordering page are :
Capacitance      14nF
Dimensions      13Ø x 2.5mm
Frequency      0.2 ? 20kHz
Lead Length      35mm
Operating Temperature      -30 ? +85°C
Sound Level      80dB
Supply Current      10mA
Supply Voltage      30Vac
Tone Type      External drive
Type      Round flying leads

I also read : External circuitry required for operation.

I need to run this in the 18kHz to 20kHz range, so how do I get the Arduino to make it produce sound at this end of its scale (0.2 ? 20kHz).

Should I be using something like a 2N2222A from the Arduino output pin using PWM, which would then connect the Piezo to it's required 30Vac with ( I am assuming here ) the PWM turning it on and off at a specific speed / frequency to produce the 20kHz tone ? Can anyone please tell me how to wire this up correctly.

I think you're looking for this: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Tone

Some piezo speakers contain a transistor and resistor to create a self-resonance circuit at a single pitch. As yours "requires external circuitry" it does not -- and that's a good thing in your case.

I don't see anything about 30Vac in your linked datasheet. The Tone tutorials will show you how to hook it up.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131