Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Working a Piezo electric transducer  (Read 964 times)
South Africa
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Am having a small animal problem (dogs) and looking the create a device to generate a 20 kHz tone when a sensor is tripped.

The sensor is an easy part (using a PIR), but I can't seem to find out how to run the Piezo transducer from my Arduino.

Was thinking of something like this :
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/068f/0900766b8068f2a3.pdf

Specs from the ordering page are :
Capacitance      14nF
Dimensions      13Ø x 2.5mm
Frequency      0.2 → 20kHz
Lead Length      35mm
Operating Temperature      -30 → +85°C
Sound Level      80dB
Supply Current      10mA
Supply Voltage      30Vac
Tone Type      External drive
Type      Round flying leads

I also read : External circuitry required for operation.

I need to run this in the 18kHz to 20kHz range, so how do I get the Arduino to make it produce sound at this end of its scale (0.2 → 20kHz).

Should I be using something like a 2N2222A from the Arduino output pin using PWM, which would then connect the Piezo to it's required 30Vac with ( I am assuming here ) the PWM turning it on and off at a specific speed / frequency to produce the 20kHz tone ? Can anyone please tell me how to wire this up correctly.

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I think you're looking for this: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Tone

Some piezo speakers contain a transistor and resistor to create a self-resonance circuit at a single pitch. As yours "requires external circuitry" it does not -- and that's a good thing in your case.

I don't see anything about 30Vac in your linked datasheet. The Tone tutorials will show you how to hook it up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: