Go Down

Topic: Is the Arduino in trouble (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

Aviator

Rather than asking the question "Is Arduino in trouble", we should ask "are other microcontrollers in trouble because of Arduino". Why do you think other manufacturers are jumping on the Arduino wago and started producing "open source Arduino clones". PICAXE has seen its days and, guess what, they now have an "open source Arduino compatible board". There are NUMEROUS Arduino clones out there. The story behind chipKitUNO32 is that Microchip asked a very reputable company, Digilent, to produce a board that is a combination of Arduino and PICmicro. Now, on the Arduino side, chipKit is easy to program; on the PIC side, however, you need MPLAB, a programmer, etc., which adds to the $26 price easily. I have a chipKit32, and numerous Arduino programs do not work on it. Arduino libraries missing on the chipKit and MAX32. So there.

The thing that the Arduino folks have to watch is quality and tech support. For example, they came out with the UNO and replace the very good FTDI chip with the ATMEGA8U2 chip. The latter is unreliable and has shown problems. I would rather have the FTDI than the 8U2, but, again, that is a matter of preference.

Aviator

retrolefty

The thing that the Arduino folks have to watch is quality and tech support. For example, they came out with the UNO and replace the very good FTDI chip with the ATMEGA8U2 chip. The latter is unreliable and has shown problems. I would rather have the FTDI than the 8U2, but, again, that is a matter of preference.

I think the Uno's somewhat 'rocky' introduction was caused by too many basic changes in one release. The 8u2 as you mentioned had some firmware issues, the new smaller/faster bootloader had some issues, and of course the shortage of DIP 328p chips at introduction caused the release of the Uno SMD board which being a 328p SMD chip, takes away the ability to easily replace the chip for repairs or for moving the chip to a standalone board, which in my opinion is a very big deal.

However I think most of the issues have been resolved or are resolvable and it seems to be selling well enough. However I agree that the FTDI chip has been a very stable device and I favor it also. However not owning a Uno, my opinion is just that and worth what you are paying for it.  ;)

Lefty

dc42

I've only ever had a Uno and I've been quite happy with it, although I wish it had a jumper to make it easier to disable the auto reset when running arduinoisp.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Grumpy_Mike

I put a subminiature slide switch across the one on my UNO so that it is simple to enable it or not.

Coding Badly

I've only ever had a Uno and I've been quite happy with it, although I wish it had a jumper to make it easier to disable the auto reset when running arduinoisp.

Jumper?  We don't need no stickin jumper...
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,64105.0.html

(with apologies to B. Traven and Dr. Johnny Fever)

CrossRoads

OK, I can see the apology to author B. Traven, but why Dr. Johnny Fever?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Coding Badly

He introduced me to the "no stickin' badges" saying.  That has been one of my favourite TV shows / favourite characters / favourite episodes.

retrolefty

Aug 28, 2011, 03:32 am Last Edit: Aug 28, 2011, 03:34 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
"no stickin' badges" saying

Didn't that saying originate from the old movie "Treasure of the Sierra Madres"

The actor that played the lead Mexican bandit saying " Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges" was later in life a radio talk host here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Lefty

CrossRoads

Movie was based on the B. Traven book tho.  Wikipedia has the passage from the book.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

duinolic

I think that arduino is not the ATMega328, is not the hardware itself (anyways arduino is a naked mega328 board), arduino is the community...
Adruino is all you in the forums, is the libraries, is the shields, arduino is the whole ecosystem around this small naked board.
I hope to see more "-duino" boards, not only clones, but new cores based on other AVRs and other more powerfull MCUs.
I hope to see other projects like maple, piguino32 and wiring to work more closely with arduino, for a unified IDE and unified libraries.
The challenge is to have a unified programming environment for different boards, with common libraries and shields. The selection of a specific board for an application will be a matter of cost and requirements.

Jack Christensen

Previous posting nominated for Rookie Posting of the Year.

KE7GKP++
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

bubulindo

It might be more accurate to say that Arduino actually refers to a big idea, of getting microcontroller technology into the hands of more people.

I fully agree with you: Arduino is a whole concept, and a great one.

I am pretty excited that Digilent has ported over some basic Arduino tech (shields and software ideas), but I'm sure its going to suffer from the same thing that plagued the microcontroller before the Arduino came along: crappy support, and zero community.

I wasn't looking for more I/Os but for more power. So I bet 25€ on the chipKIT UNO32, knowing what could be the risks with a new platform and being ready to face them.

Actually, I've been delighted by the support and the community. Diligent and Microchip engineers participate on the forum actively.

Another great point is the strong commitment to the Arduino IDE, thank to close ties among developers.

I do hope the chipKIT gains some support and its users start showing off (and sharing) their projects, because a 32-bit processor is pretty darn cool.

Please have a look at my chipKIT UNO32 Board review and the compatibility issues and fixes.

Am I the only one that thinks "OVERKILL" to use a 32 bit processor for some (actually most) of the stuff we see done with Arduino?
Arduino's concept is to introduce normal people to electronics. And at that it is a huge success. Proof of which is the fact that a lot of the manufacturers started with Arduino clones, as were referred to here previously.
Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

dc42

Aug 29, 2011, 12:02 pm Last Edit: Aug 29, 2011, 12:10 pm by dc42 Reason: 1

Am I the only one that thinks "OVERKILL" to use a 32 bit processor for some (actually most) of the stuff we see done with Arduino?

So what if it is? The price of the chipkit UNO32 board looks comparable to the Arduino Uno board, and it offers more I/O pins and RAM (both of which people using Arduino sometimes run out of). So it makes sense for me to standardize on it in place of Arduino if/when other things (IDE, libraries, community-based support etc.) are as good as Arduino or better.

A modern PC is overkill for doing most of the things I use it for that I did on an 8-bit microcomputer 30 years ago, but that doesn't mean I should stop using a PC for those things. A 20A 100V mosfet is overkill for switching 1A at 12V, but if the 20A mosfet is what I have in the drawer, that's the one I'll use in a 1-off project.

Maybe it's time Arduino migrated to a 32-bit AVR chip?
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

MGeo

There are applications for which 32 bit is overkill, and there are also applications that limited by 8 bit.

With 32 bit embedded chips dropping to ever low price points (ARM, PIC32...) Arduino needs a path to 32 bits without breaking the existing 8 bit support.  8 bit is great for getting started with Blink and is more than enough for many applications.  As Arduino makes embedded processing more accessible thanks to Arduino philosophy, new previously unimagined apps will show up.  Some will be limited by 8 bit capabilities.  The past can be used to predict the future here.
Should be interesting to watch, the market will progress.

avenue33

Hi!

Quote from: bubulindo on Today at 10:44:42 AM

My initial micro-controller features a 200 MHz 32-bit ARM 9 processor and 8 MB RAM, 2 MB flash but it's a walled system.

I had four main goals with the 8-bit Arduino:

• go inside of a micro-controller because the TX-C is a very nice box but rather closed black box,

• understand the embedded programming better,

• get familiar with I2C protocol and experiment with I2C sensors and actuators,

• try and communicate with TX-C through opto-couplers, digital potentiometer and finally I2C.

I've learnt a couple of valuable things playing with the 8-bit Arduino:

• how to deal with limited memory--write compact code

• how to deal with limited power--write light code

I've really enjoyed how easy the Arduino is, so I went for something more powerful with the 32-bit chipKIT UNO32.

Go Up