Go Down

Topic: Digital illiteracy? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

AWOL

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

madworm

Does it run DOOM?

Wait, nobody knows that one anymore. Make it Duke Nukem Forever...

Seriously, what school will use a product that doesn't come with windows preloaded? They're all indoctrinated on neuron level that windows IS the world of computing. The rest is illegal at best. This is a nice example, maybe known already. Still a good read.
• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

AJB2K3

What is this "Duke Nukem Forever"?
Is it anything like "Duke Nukem 3d Atomic edition or plutonium edition"?

Lol I wish they would teach programming but only using Open source programs, that way kid will learn how to build proper software.
Sorry for the noobish post but my knowledge is 10 years out of date!

madworm

Jun 04, 2011, 09:18 pm Last Edit: Jun 04, 2011, 09:33 pm by madworm Reason: 1
Cowabunga!

No, that was Mr. Lo Wang (Shadow Warrior) ;-)

"The shuriken! I love the shuriken! i love it! i used to go to the movies with a pocket full of them! i throw the shuriken in the dark... and where it lands, nobody knows... [yelp!] there! one landed!"

---

Personally I think open source software and especially software that only uses non-proprietary file formats should be mandatory for schools and governments. In Germany the department of foreign affairs migrated from MS to some sort of linux a few years ago. Now they're migrating back to MS... Apparently the users complained that they couldn't run their favourite software, probably solitaire and silly powerpoint slideshows sent via email. I don't see why schools and governments should be dependent on a company with as quasi monopoly. Ever tried to buy a computer and not pay the MS tax? Pirates. I don't mind them trying to make money, but I demand to have a choice to avoid them.

Computer/digital illiteracy works in favour of MS. People get locked in after some time.

I'm per definition the admin of my parents' computer. It was running XP for several years, using Acronis TrueImage for backups. A very good product btw, especially for bare-metal recovery. I created the initial backup and let it run scheduled. Restoring was easy enough for my dad to do it himself. The last time it gave me a headache I just installed openSUSE and added a virtual XP machine using virtualbox. I also bought a good book for linux newbies that started something like this: "... 'root directory' .... HELP, where am I?...". No more trouble with viri as well.

The virtual XP machine hasn't been used ONCE since then.

I'm not sure my dad could install or re-install his machine from scratch (without wiping out his user data) or use a terminal without me giving instructions via the phone. It seems he now just expects the machine to run. And if it doesn't I'm informed that I should pay them a visit and be recompensed with a good meal.
• Upload doesn't work? Do a loop-back test.
• There's absolutely NO excuse for not having an ISP!
• Your AVR needs a brain surgery? Use the online FUSE calculator.
My projects: RGB LED matrix, RGB LED ring, various ATtiny gadgets...
• Microsoft is not the answer. It is the question, and the answer is NO!

u0421793

It highlights a blatant failure on the part of the software development world to address issues such as usability, intuitiveness and workflow management by creating usable, intuitive and effective languages. User-centred approaches to application and web application development has realised these shortcomings long ago and we have apps that rank highly in usability, intuitiveness and flow. Languages on the other hand seem to have been marooned back in the '60s by a clique of beardy self-flagellating programmers that learned pointlessly badly designed languages the hard way and believe that this is the only way to achieve true power, and that everyone should continue to suffer. This has retarded the possibility of languages that are actually nice to use, and consequently as a result, we're in precisely the situation indicated in the indicated article.

Go Up