Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: FTDI Basic Breakout can replace VDIP1?  (Read 810 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hello
I want to ask if USB Serial converter(FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V) can replace VDIP1.

there are some document about
Arduino pro mini <-> VDIP1 <-> USB device(e.g. mini wireless lan card)
but I can't find any document about
Arduino pro mini <-> USB Serial converter(FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V)<-> USB device(e.g. mini wireless lan card)
does USB Serial converter(FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V) can replace VDIP1?
it seems both of two use same FTDI chip

FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V looks like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/FTDI-Basic-Breakout-5V-New-Model-suits-Arduino-/290530764078?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item43a4fba52e#ht_2298wt_905

VDIP1 looks like this
http://common.leocom.jp/datasheets/140428_63955.pdf

thank you!

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

VDIP1 us a USB Host controller that lets you connect USB devices (thumb drives, mice, keyboards, network adapters, and other peripherals) to a system.

The FTDI Basic Breakout is a USB Serial Port Adapter which lets you connect a TTL Serial port to a USB Host.

They are not interchangeable.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

So John,
If I wanted to make a device that could play MP3s from a portable hard drive such as Western Digital 500GB Passport, this FTDI  part would be a good start?
Robert

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

If I wanted to make a device that could play MP3s from a portable hard drive such as Western Digital 500GB Passport, this FTDI  part would be a good start?

My understanding, from the product description, is that the Vinculum and Vinculum-II  products from FTDI Chip provide a USB Host interface that would allow you to read data from a USB hard drive.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/VNC1L.htm
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/VNC2.htm

Of course the ATmega processors that have built-in USB capability might also be a good choice.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Are any of the ATmega processors that have built-in USB capability  also supported in the Arduino IDE?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if the ATmega16U2, 16U4, 32U2 or 32U4 were close enough to the ATmega168 or 328 to be easily adapted to the Arduino IDE.   I think they only come in surface-mount packages. smiley-sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: