Go Down

Topic: AtMega328 from Uno swappable with duemilanove (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Impossible

I currently prototype with a duemilanove then remove the cpu and place it in my prototyped breadboard circuit which does not have a serial or USB interface.

I currently have a single duemilanove and three atmega328's which depending on the application have different code.

I am looking at buying an additional Arduino and was wondering if I could swap the Atmega's between an uno and duemilanove without any problems. If so I would purchase a Uno.

Am I able to do this, or are the bootloaders only compatable with the platform they have been loaded with? If this is the case I will buy another duemilanove.

Thanks

Imp

retrolefty

I am looking at buying an additional Arduino and was wondering if I could swap the Atmega's between an uno and duemilanove without any problems.

Yes, either 328 will work in either board. You do however have to select the board in the IDE that reflects which board the chip came from orginally, as they their bootloaders work at different baudrates. So select UNO for the chip with the Uno bootloader installed and visa versa.

Lefty

Chicken325

Sorry to reply so late  :~ but how do you pull the ATmega out of it at all?

retrolefty

Sorry to reply so late  :~ but how do you pull the ATmega out of it at all?

There are two different Uno boards avalible, standard with a socketed DIP chip 328, and the SMD Uno board which has a soldered in SMD 328 chip. Obviously the OP is asking about the socketed version of the Uno board.

Lefty

Chicken325

I have the DIP version too but it seems firmly in the socket.

retrolefty

I have the DIP version too but it seems firmly in the socket.

That is a good thing. Removing dip chips from their socket just takes patience, the right tool, and a little practice. I usually use a very small jeweler's flat blade screwdriver or an exacto knife. First you gently pry between the socket and the chip at one end, just raising the chip say 1/16", then work the other side the same amount. Go back and forth that way a couple of times till the chip can be carefully lifted out. Damage is more likely on reinstalling the chip, one needs to be sure all the pins are carefully at the start of each socket pin before pressing down slowly but firmly at the center of the chip.

Lefty

Go Up