Go Down

Topic: really basic beginner tutorial questions (Read 535 times) previous topic - next topic

I just obtained an Arduino Uno and was trying to work through some of the tutorials to become more familiar in using it.

However, I ran into a problem in that I went to go buy some of the components, and the folks at the electronics store wanted to know the wattage. For example, Blink ( http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink ) requires a 220 ohm resistor, but the store sells 1/2 watt 220 ohm resistors, 1/4 watt 220 ohm resistors, and so on.

So how do I determine the needed wattage for the resistors, potentiometers, et cetera?

Thank You

First to answer your question - you calculate it from the voltage across the resistor - P = V*V/R where P is in watts, V is in volts, R is in ohms or P = I * I * R where I is in amperes and R is in ohms.

Now having said that the currents in the tutorial you are working with are so small that  any of the resistors you found  (1/2 W, 1/4 W even 1/8 W) will work just fine.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131