Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Is a 2n3906 an suitable substitute for a S8050? What about 2n3904 for a S3550?  (Read 2321 times)
Arduino rocks!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm mainly concerned about DC current gain although I don't fully understand what exactly gain is...
I expect the mA used by the circuit to be <70mA total. Probably 5mA to 20mA used by the transistors.

Datasheet for 2n39**
Datasheet for S8*50

As always... Thanks for posting!!!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

We need to know what you are going to do with the transistor before we can say if this is a sutiable replacement.
Gain is the value used in:-
Base Current * Gain = Collector current

Arduino rocks!
View Profile

We need to know what you are going to do with the transistor before we can say if this is a sutiable replacement.
I'm not entirely sure actually...

I'm repairing a compass sensor module I found in a dumpster. When I first found the sensor my plan was to take the KMZ52 magnetic sensor IC off and
make it more compatible with my Arduino. Now I realize the module used I2C to communicate. Now I need to replace the burned-out capacitor and the 2 pairs of SN8**'s to make the module work as it used to.

To the best of what I know the 2 NPN's and 2 PNP's are used to turn on/off the KMZ52's 2 internal coils (the coils are in the SMD IC)
ohh one more thing Iooked at the KMZ52's datasheet and the pcb, I think the current that goes from collector to emitter is less than 4mA.
also it appears the NPNs and PNPs are in two half H-bridges...

As always... Thanks for posting!!!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Well they look very similar but the S8050 has a slightly higher gain. That shouldn't matter much in a H-bridge especially as such low loads.
Also the the S8050 gas a higher emitter base saturation voltage which is normally a bad thing but it might be in the design, it's impossible to tell.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: