Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: RGB led color select  (Read 869 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hi, I have RGB led and I want to change colors example to yellow or white. how can I do it? thanks.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You need to be able to change how 'on' each LED is, the blend determines the color seen.
Simple way is 3 pots, with a series resistor so that you don't accidentally exceed the ~20mA current thru any LED.
More complicated is 3 PWMs from arduino driving the 3 LEDs, with frequency selected by reading 3 puts, some pushbutton, supplied via serial messages, etc.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Often it looks better if the light is diffused. If they are in a clear package then a light rub with sand paper will make the colours blend together so much better.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

ammygo PM'd me that he wants to make an 8x8 RGB LED table.

I wrote back:

Well, that's a lot more work than just 1 RGB LED!
That is 64, so you will need to control  3 x 64 = 192 signals.
Do some searching for TLC5940 (I think that is the part #).
It has 16 outputs, each output can have a PWM level assigned so you can set the brightness of each LED to change the color of each square.
You will need 192/16 = 12 pf them. I have not used them myself, but I  can help you figure out how to control them.
Post this question as a new thread so that others who have used this part can help with software questions.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Surrey, UK
Seeking to destroy the world, one electrolytic cap at a time.
View Profile

You can multiplex the TLC5940 - to quote someone elses work http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Mini_Monome.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: