Go Down

Topic: 12v common cathode RGB LED strand (Read 2853 times) previous topic - next topic

i have some common Cathode RGB LED strands that I want to power with my Arduino. I need to convert the 5v of the PWM PINS to some 9-12v source for the strands. I'm pretty sure that they draw 20 mA but I cannot say for sure. I have powered them with everything from 9v to 16v with my Wall Wart with no trouble. So I assume that as long as I can use the Wall Wart with some kind of Transistor combination that the varying mA's will be no issue. I have a mosfet P Channel and feel like they might be the answer. TIP120's have been used to no avail.

I am using my Arduino with MIDI control through Ableton Live's MAXUINO patch. So I will post a link to my Instructable using simple LED's that function off of the 5v PWM PINs on my Arduino. I want to do the same with 9-12v Common Cathode RGB LED strands.

Any advice how I could gain the same control over LED's that require more power? It works just fine with the small LED's... Now i need the same control over LED strands that use 9-12v...

Jun 09, 2011, 09:57 am Last Edit: Jun 09, 2011, 10:00 am by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
You need a p-channel FET up at 12V to do the switching. But then you need another transistor or FET to change the arduino's 5V output into a 12V output to drive the gate of the P-channel FET.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131