Go Down

Topic: Sensor for camera trap--no luck with PING/PIR/X-Band (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I do field work in a remote part of Alaska with lots of bears, and I'm trying to build a camera trap to get some high quality images of them. I picked up 3 parallax sensors, a PIR, x-band, and ping. It's been smooth sailing getting these sensors to trigger my camera via the Uno, but none of them seem well suited for my application. I want something analogous to a trip wire, so that when an animal enters the focus plane of the camera, the shutter is triggered. The PIR and x-band seem to trigger randomly and their cone of detection is very broad. I have two flashes firing externally with the shutter, and I worry these false triggers will scare bears off before they get in the plane of focus. I was excited about the Ping, but I've had the opposite problem. I used the code on this site and played with the timing parameters, but I just can't get the sensor to reliably detect objects beyond ~3 ft- occasionally the farther test subjects register in the distance measures, but usually the sensor just keeps spitting out 144".

I could really use some advice. Is this normal behavior for the Ping? Is there a way to focus the PIR and x-band to produce a narrow beam?

Is there another cheap sensor option our there? I would love to have a laser beam that fired the trigger when interrupted, but all the setups I've seen so far don't look like they'd work for in the field.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

have a look here, a simple tube over the PIR seems to help a bit for directivity.
check out the video, it is informative but funny as well (I DO love cats, honest!)

otherwise, google infra red beam detector or
search for circuits using a laser (pen or diode) to create a beam (and react to it being interrupted)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131