Go Down

Topic: Correct transistor wiring (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

illillillill

I have my arduino feeding a digitalWrite(50, HIGH) to my transistors "Base" leg,  and now i want that transistor to control a power supply for a relay,  how would you guys wire that up ? . right now i collect the volt from the PSU and emit it to the relay,  and on the other side of the relay i have a wire connected to ground on the arduino.   it's making the relay do some clicky noises but it doesent have enough power to make it switch.  my PSU goes from 0-30 volts,  tried turning it all up, no change. if i wire it directly to the psu i can control the relay manually,  but then my arduino cant control it.  please haalp :(

breagle

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/uploads/Learning/relays.pdf

This should help with how to wire it. Make sure to use a diode as show. Running a relay straight from your arduino is bad for it. The coil builds up high voltage spike that is put into our arduino. The sketch you need is a simple switch one.

illillillill

i cant see what it says on the 2 components on teh far right. exept "R"  rest of teh text goes outside the picture :(

and yea i already have a diode on it :) fried tons of transistors already because i missed the diode :b

breagle

You need a resistor on the base of the transistor to the arduino.

illillillill

i have that,  400 some thing ohm,  should be enough ?

illillillill

i just noticed that this schematic is for small 5v relays,  mines a 10v , and the arduino cant produce enough power to trigger the switch, so back to my original question,  how do i wire the PSU correctly to the transistor or relay. ?

breagle

PSU to relay/diode. Then relay/diode to collector side of a NPN transistor. Emitter to ground. A resistor to the base from the arduino. Connect your grounds of the PSU and arduino. This assumes you have a NPN transistor.

illillillill

i have a bc547 so yea, npn,  and i just wired exactly like u said.  still nothing happens.

illillillill

ok i made it work,  i forgot to wire the minus side of the psu to the arduino ground.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy