Go Down

Topic: What mechanics to use to strike a bell (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

ofransen

>Note this is a UK web site but Farnell have a US one as well.

I'm based in Italy, but Farnell have an Italian site, so I think I can order from there. Thanks for finding that solenoid, it is not push, but the push ones seem even more expensive than the pull ones.

Owen F. Ransen

johnwasser

Thanks for finding that solenoid, it is not push, but the push ones seem even more expensive than the pull ones.

It's rated for continuous duty so you could leave it pulled in all the time (1.5 Watts each) and drop the power when you want to plunger to come out.  They each draw 1/8th Amp at 12 Volts so you just have to size your power supply to match.  You'll need something like a logic-level MOSFET to do the power switching.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

ofransen

If I do the mechanics right "pulling" will hit the chime anyway. So I'd apply power, the plunger comes "in" and a lever attached to the plunger hits the chime. Or I suppose I could have the plunger resting on the chime cylinder, then a quick in-out-in motion would strike the chime.

I think I'll find out by experience which is best.

See my other post about how to power the solenoid. Is a MOSFET better for this than a "normal" transistor?

By the way, how do I "quote" you in posts. I can see a zillion icons, but none which say "quote post you are replying to."
Owen F. Ransen

Chagrin

The button to reply with a quote is right up here in the corner ------------------------------------------------------------^

ofransen

The button to reply with a quote is right up here in the corner ------------------------------------------------------------^

Ha! Just testing you all!

;)
Owen F. Ransen

ash901226

i dont know if i reply this tread too late but while i was surfing the arduino blogg i found this http://arduino.cc/blog/2010/12/03/make-your-own-solenoids-and-play-xylophone/
i think this is similar to your application wont it?

Go Up