Go Down

Topic: Cheap and simple 7 segment led 4 characters (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

artvolk

Thank you for the quick responses and for a big number of options I now have.

Have I understand it right that 4 character 7 segment will draw more power than average 16x2 LCD (1.5-3mA)? I'm building battery powered project, so this is critical.

Thanks!

CrossRoads

Would have been nice to know that at the start.
The current draw for the LEDs would be under your control - both how long you turn them on for, how bright  you drive them.
I don't imagine they'd be too bright with 3mA multiplexed over 28 segments.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

artvolk

So it seems 16x2 is more power efficient if I need to keep 7 segment on (or scan repeatelly -- depends on the circuit) and to be readable like 16x2 display with backlight turned on?

CrossRoads

Probably, if your 3mA estimate is correct and you are comparing it to having the 7 segment displays on all the time.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

artvolk

Go Up