Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: EMP - faraday cage  (Read 1360 times)
Kortrijk, Belgium
Young geek
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well, seems like there's another rapture theory out there: in 2013, there will be an electro-magnetic pulse. This will destroy all electrical appliances. This will cause extreme chaos because nobody will know what's happening without internet, tv, radio, newspapers, cars...
Now, my question is: how can I construct a Faraday cage to keep some stuff secure (so I'll be the only one with a still working laptop and, of course, some kind of solar charger for it)? I've found lots of different opinions on things like what metal to use, whether or not to ground it, ..., and I thought maybe the smart people in here would have some tips or ideas.

Sorry God members, I'm an atheist.

Georgia, US
Arduino makes my head hurt :(
View Profile

I'm assuming you're doing this just for fun, and you don't actually believe the nutjobs?

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

I'm more concerned about zombies with HERF guns.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Kortrijk, Belgium
Young geek
View Profile

I'm assuming you're doing this just for fun, and you don't actually believe the nutjobs?
Indeed smiley-grin

Sorry God members, I'm an atheist.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Just line the walls, windws, and door of the room  you're in with a grounded steel mesh. I don't think it needs to be a real fine mesh either.
Have you seen the ginormous Van De Graaf generator at the Boston/Cambridgde Museum of Science? The  operator works from the inside of what looks like an oversized birdcage, while thousands of volts of electricity sparks & spits & flies around.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

Have you seen the ginormous Van De Graaf generator at the Boston/Cambridgde Museum of Science? The  operator works from the inside of what looks like an oversized birdcage, while thousands of volts of electricity sparks & spits & flies around.

You mean this gallery? There is video at the site as well.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Boston Suburbs
God Member
I am above your silly so-called "Laws", Mister Ohm.
View Profile

Hehehe About three years ago I took the kids into the MoS..  this Twit of a security guard started giving me a hard time because I was on the balcony section, and to get over the heads of the schoolkids and for angle, I had a camera on my telescopic aluminum monopod.  I was trying to stabilize so I could get some small aperture/long exposure shots of layered arcs.  I had read about the generator, and the MoS was one of the first public landmarks in Boston I hit after I had moved out here from Flatland back in the late 80's.  Tevatron/Fermi is a cool tour, but little gets your attention like a 10' HV arc from a distance of twenty feet.  You can actually feel the shock wave from the air displacement.  It's not sound really, it's a concussive assault on the atmosphere smiley-wink

This dolt starts saying things like "Don't you see the sparks!" at me.. of course the WHOLE THING (the generator and the operator cage) are both within a larger Faraday Cage... I didn't want to argue with the guy.  I did suggest that he LISTEN to the presentation, to understand why my actions were not an issue.  How can you be the guy who stands there and listens to this ten times a day and NEVER ONCE listen to the content?  Content written for (and understood by, mostly) Fourth-Graders?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:35:23 pm by focalist » Logged

When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

That's the one smiley-cool
Very loud when that indoor lightning lets go!

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Put your valuable electronics in a metal box and bury it in the back yard  smiley-mr-green

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

The whole point about a Faraday Cage is that it is not earthed (grounded) there is no need to. Those cages the operator sits in are not. We have something similar but on a smaller scale at the University of Manchester you can get to see it on open days.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

The whole point about a Faraday Cage is that it is not earthed (grounded) there is no need to. Those cages the operator sits in are not. We have something similar but on a smaller scale at the University of Manchester you can get to see it on open days.

Not trying to be the expert here but I think it can be both depending on what you want : shield inside from field coming in or going out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

We have one in our department. It's bolted to the building ground. I'll take a pic next week to share. It looks kind of scary with the over-sized door handle and pitch black without light.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

And this EMP in 2013 comes from where, exactly?

I'm just sticking with my tinfoil hat.  Remind me though, does the shiny side go in or out?

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

And this EMP in 2013 comes from where, exactly?

I'm just sticking with my tinfoil hat.  Remind me though, does the shiny side go in or out?

In for cold days, and out for hot days  smiley-mr-green

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

In for cold days, and out for hot days  smiley-mr-green

Ah!  Of course!  Bahaha!   smiley-grin

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

but I think it can be both depending on what you want
Connecting to the ground makes no difference. Yes what stops a field geeing in also stops it getting out, that's the symmetry of physics, it is not like a diode.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: