Go Down

Topic: EMP - faraday cage (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

doublet

Well, seems like there's another rapture theory out there: in 2013, there will be an electro-magnetic pulse. This will destroy all electrical appliances. This will cause extreme chaos because nobody will know what's happening without internet, tv, radio, newspapers, cars...
Now, my question is: how can I construct a Faraday cage to keep some stuff secure (so I'll be the only one with a still working laptop and, of course, some kind of solar charger for it)? I've found lots of different opinions on things like what metal to use, whether or not to ground it, ..., and I thought maybe the smart people in here would have some tips or ideas.
Sorry God members, I'm an atheist.

Valalvax

I'm assuming you're doing this just for fun, and you don't actually believe the nutjobs?

justjed

I'm more concerned about zombies with HERF guns.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

doublet

I'm assuming you're doing this just for fun, and you don't actually believe the nutjobs?

Indeed :D
Sorry God members, I'm an atheist.

CrossRoads

Just line the walls, windws, and door of the room  you're in with a grounded steel mesh. I don't think it needs to be a real fine mesh either.
Have you seen the ginormous Van De Graaf generator at the Boston/Cambridgde Museum of Science? The  operator works from the inside of what looks like an oversized birdcage, while thousands of volts of electricity sparks & spits & flies around.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up