Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Eletric car, which torque?  (Read 431 times)
Brazil
Xano
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey guys
I wonder if the stepper motors (two of it) that I saw for sale can make a car with a person on top ride.
I think you have heard about Segways. Would be like that the project. smiley-wink

Sale stepper motor:
Detent Torque 400 (gcm)
Rotor Inertia  280 (g-cm²)

I know the wheel size affects, but what formula should I use?
directly connecting in the wheel, the car would ride?

Thanks!  smiley-mr-green

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I think you'd need something around 10kg righting force, with 20cm radius wheel that's 2kgm (= 2000gm = 200000gcm)  That's a factor of 500 greater than that motor (even with reduction gearing it looks way way out).

[ torque = force * distance from axis ]

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Yeah - the kind of motors you are going to want to use will likely be similar to the ones seen on electric mobility chairs, or maybe electric scooters. That, and you're going to need one heck of an h-bridge controller to run it (which will be anything -but- cheap). You are probably looking at $300-500.00 USD just for motors and controller alone (and another $200.00 USD for batteries); that would be if you can get everything used...

Also this is anything but a beginner project; those kinds of motors have big-time current draw and lots of torque - without proper precaution and knowledge, they can lead to injury (possibly serious - possibly fire).

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Brazil
Xano
View Profile

I think you'd need something around 10kg righting force, with 20cm radius wheel that's 2kgm (= 2000gm = 200000gcm)  That's a factor of 500 greater than that motor (even with reduction gearing it looks way way out).

[ torque = force * distance from axis ]

Too much force =/

Please look here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290566655212&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I really wanted to do this project, these engines seem pretty strong and has a good price, but no way really? =/

Yeah - the kind of motors you are going to want to use will likely be similar to the ones seen on electric mobility chairs, or maybe electric scooters. That, and you're going to need one heck of an h-bridge controller to run it (which will be anything -but- cheap). You are probably looking at $300-500.00 USD just for motors and controller alone (and another $200.00 USD for batteries); that would be if you can get everything used...

Also this is anything but a beginner project; those kinds of motors have big-time current draw and lots of torque - without proper precaution and knowledge, they can lead to injury (possibly serious - possibly fire).

I was hoping would solve that with these engines. I had seen wheels motors, but they are really expensive. $ 500 is far from my budget.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: