Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Interfacing with a camera  (Read 839 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Is it possible for an Arduino to interface with this camera?  As in dump the picture to some external EEPROM?  Also, would I be able to render the current image without storing it anywhere?

Most importantly, how do I pump 12v and 150mA into it?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Is it possible for an Arduino to interface with this camera?  As in dump the picture to some external EEPROM?  Also, would I be able to render the current image without storing it anywhere?

Most importantly, how do I pump 12v and 150mA into it?

The camera you linked to outputs a composite video signal (the same you'd get out of a VCR, except black and white); you can't directly interface to it with the Arduino. You could, however, use Nootropic Design's Video Experimenter shield to capture a low-resolution image from it, then store that to an EEPROM. See these links:

http://nootropicdesign.com/ve/
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,56049.0.html
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,63284.0.html

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

View Profile

Cool!  How low resolution?  Would the shield itself be able to directly output to a screen without going through the Arduino, too?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Cool!  How low resolution?  Would the shield itself be able to directly output to a screen without going through the Arduino, too?

Technically, it's all thru the Arduino, since it is making use of a modified version of the TVOut library; the image data itself is stored in a RAM array on the Arduino itself (which means your program can only be so complex - it would be a better bet to have one Arduino acting as the video processor, and a second communicating with it over a serial link to act as the main processing system).

As far as resolution - I can't recall exactly, but if you research those links (and/or contact Nootropic directly - send him a PM, he's on this forum all the time), you should figure it out (192 x 128 or less, 1 bit-per-pixel, something like that - its modifiable in the software library, IIRC).

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

View Profile

Cool!  I might make an Arduino-based edge detector that simply find the edges between black and white, then draw it via marker.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Cool!  I might make an Arduino-based edge detector that simply find the edges between black and white, then draw it via marker.

Should be do-able; one of those links though mentions it taking about a second to capture an image (not sure at what resolution, though)...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: