Go Down

Topic: New optiboot; beta testers welcome... (Read 115 times) previous topic - next topic

Coding Badly

Look for WestfW's Optifix sketch

Does Optifix update the processor on which it is running or does it update other processors?

tim7

Does Optifix update the processor on which it is running or does it update other processors?

AFAIK it's not possible to rewrite the bootloader memory internally.  But if anybody wants to try out the new Optiboot v4.4 and they have two Arduino boards, the Optifix sketch avoids the need to disable auto-reset on the board acting as programmer.  Once one of the boards has Optiboot v4.4 installed it will run ArduinoISP properly (again without fiddling about disabling the reset signals).  Although for this purpose IMHO Optifix is easier to use than ArduinoISP + AVRdude.

I hope WestfW doesn't mind me beating this particular drum.  It's all his work.

westfw

I'm traveling at the moment, but I'll try to post an updated (with optiboot 4.4) optifix soon...

newhobby

How do I read the Optiboot version?

westfw

How do I read the Optiboot version?

It's in the last two bytes of flash memory.  You can see it in the .HEX file and read it with an ISP programmer (including ArduinoISP.)  To read it from a sketch, you'd need to update the protection fuses as per the source repository...

(The existing optiboot doesn't have a version number.  Not even in the source code.  There was only the version attached to the .ZIP file in the optiboot repository, and/or the version of the Arduino distribution.  Adding the extra version number was one of the enhancements in this new version.)

Go Up