Go Down

Topic: New optiboot; beta testers welcome... (Read 115 times) previous topic - next topic

cowasaki

Well I had been having problems with this but decided to build a new board with RTC too. Anyway the new board works perfectly first time

Using maniac bugs folder it uploads the boot loader from the Arduino IDE which was a surprise. Anyway thumbs up all round. It's now working perfectly

maniacbug

Yes.  In newer compilers, PROGMEM handling is changed significantly.  And linux installs the compiler separately from the Arduino IDE, so which version you have is pretty random.

I'll take a look and see if I can come up with changes that work for multiple compiler versions...

Yup, 4.6 changed the handling of progmem significantly, and all for the better.  It's easy to make the changes, and they still work with older toolset versions.  Basically, we have to stop using prog_types and make all progmem variables const (which they should have been already).

westfw

And 4.7 is adding compiler-level support for progmem regions, I think?
(but going between 4.3 and 4.6, we probably only have to add the "const" in appropriate places.)

maniacbug

And 4.7 is adding compiler-level support for progmem regions, I think?

Yup.  They're awesome.  But I'd argue they're irrelevant for Optiboot, until Arduino upgrades to 4.7.  Because the new named regions aren't backward compatible, so code that uses them REQUIRES >=4.7.0.

(but going between 4.3 and 4.6, we probably only have to add the "const" in appropriate places.)

Also have to remove the now-deprecated prog_char type and other prog_ types.

ed1000

I still even have trouble for my IDE (both 22 and 1.0) to recognize the optiboot board. According to the instructions i do this:
To install into the Arduino software
1.Download the latest Optiboot zip file and extract it.
2.You will need to be using a recent version of the Arduino environment, version 18 or later.
3.Create a 'hardware' directory inside your sketches folder.
4.Copy the optiboot directory into the hardware directory.
5.Restart the Arduino software. New boards will appear in the Tools > Board menu.

But there are no new boards in the Tools > Board menu
Now I have done this for other boards and it always worked. If I look at the 'Optiboot' folder in my hardware folder, its structure is completely different from the ones that do work. Other folder (e.g. Attiny85) have a 'boards.txt' file in their folder and a folder called 'cores'. That folder then has a subfolder called Attiny85 again and only that folder then has all sorts of 'h',  'c' etc files in it. So not the optiboot folder: no 'boards.txt'  no cores folder, it just has all of its files (boot.h, makeall, makebat, pin_def etc directly in that one folder.

So, Am I forgetting something? Is there anything in the 5 line instructions that was too difficult for me to understand?

Yes, I did close and restart the IDE.
Anybody a solution as it seems to work for all you guys and calls.
Tnx

Go Up