Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: I need a Project  (Read 1470 times)
New River, Arizona
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

@Draythomp, any suggestions for  a sex & Arduino-project ?

Uh, I could probably go on for about 40 pages with that one.  Wow, one that I can actually put on a pubic er, uh public board?  How about:

A sensor that you install in a bar stool that senses the temperature of the person sitting there.  It would have to be capable of fractional changes and allow for movement of the persons posterior section.  It would have to respond very quickly and have some kind of indicator that is discreet but still easily viewed.  That way as you use your various lines on the target human you could quickly see the affects.  Higher temps and you're working it; lower temps and you struck out. 
 smiley-cool

Trying to keep my house under control http://www.desert-home.com/

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

@karlarabe

A simple movement sketch can be made with the help of a distance sensor that does a 360 degrees sweep (5degr. steps => 72 ints ) by means of a servo. You can measure the distances at 5 different heights (different tilt?) to create a "reference blob"  5x 72 = 360 ints (less than a KB). Then in the next sweep you check all the distances again. If there has been a (substantial) change it will be noticed, so even intruders standing still are caught. Then you will know the spatial direction in which the changes are => then point a webcam.

Problems are plenty of course, how to handle the differences in measurments and position of the sensor, and how to handle that in software.

Note: If you use a MEGA you can increase the resolution as it has more RAM.  you can store the reference blob in an external EEPROM once and read from it to compare every sweep. (e.g. an 24LC256 can hold 32KB that is good for 16000 distance measurements.  One circle = 360 measurements so there is room for full sweeps at 45 different heights.

You can use less measurements (1000 may be adequate) in the sweeps and if an area looks suspicious do a more detailed "scan" of that area

in the end not using a webcam and try to solve it with an Arduino, a distancesensor (or 4?) 2 servos and an EEPROM might prove more a challenge

my 2 cents,
Rob

The reference blob can be exported to the PC, and every serious delta can be send to the PC to

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you want a project that would produce a useful product, why don't you add to the below open source webcam2000 program such that parameters could be sent to it via a get request, and it would send a serial message to an arduino switch between cams, and then send the frame back to the client. This would make for a webpage based multicam security cam program. Bottom is webcam2000 in operation.

http://www.webcam2000.info/

http://web.comporium.net/~shb/wc2000-PT-script.htm

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

New River, Arizona
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

And I thought I was getting risque with the bar stool........

View Profile

Thanks for all the replies.

I now have an idea.

Its an automated door unlock system. You send a pass code via text or e-mail to a specific phone/email address. If its correct the door unlocks.
Useful when letting people into your house whist you are away.

Now I want to know if this is even possible? What I would need? And what programming language I need to learn eg. Java, c++, V.B. or whatever.

Leeds, UK
View Profile

It depends on how much work you want to put into this - you could do it with a GSM shield of some sorts for text messages, or email with an Ethernet shield, how about RFID? In all likelihood you could do all of what you need on the Arduino - bar perhaps the email bit, which might need a bit of help from a connected computer.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

You could have a door lock wth its own web server (password protected, obviously) - that would be quite simple.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

is this a very simple project idea then? I though i was going to have to handle the FTP to read the emails.

If it is too simple can you please suggest how i can expand this idea.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

In the IDE, under "examples/ethernet" there is a simple web server example, and there are others at the playground.
It seems to me it would be fairly simple to present a simple web page with a passcode entry and have the Arduino actuate the lock.
Need to bear in mind the possibility of power cuts.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Leeds, UK
View Profile

Have you got a grading criteria?

New River, Arizona
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You can complicate it by adding local (to the door) control.  As a person approached the inside of the door it senses them and unlocks.  If the person is under 4 feet tall it won't unlock (pool protection).  It autonomously locks at a programmed time to set the house for night.
That kind of thing.

View Profile

Have you got a grading criteria?
Here is a link http://www.asiplease.net/computing/alevel/writing_a2_project.htm

You can complicate it by adding local (to the door) control.  As a person approached the inside of the door it senses them and unlocks.  If the person is under 4 feet tall it won't unlock (pool protection).  It autonomously locks at a programmed time to set the house for night.
That kind of thing.
These are really good ideas that will help the project become more complex. Could you please list what i would need to complete this system?

New River, Arizona
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

That kind of thing.
These are really good ideas that will help the project become more complex. Could you please list what i would need to complete this system?
This is where the 'project' part of it comes in.  I would suggest sonar to sense the presence of a person and infrared to test their height.  However, one can use sonar alone placed properly on the door and used only for short range.  Time is easier, a simple real time clock and a menu interface to the TimeAlarm library would do that. 

Leeds, UK
View Profile

The mark scheme seems to place a lot of emphasis on data and data processing. Perhaps think about keeping track of access and offering a way to analyse/present that data to the user via a web interface or what-have-you.

Incorporate a smart phone in there as well and you're winning.

"identify a real situation of a suitable size and scope and produce a computer based system for it. The situation you choose should be accessible to you, such as a family business, a local club or charity with which you have some contact, or something in school."

This might be an important part of it...

View Profile

The mark scheme seems to place a lot of emphasis on data and data processing. Perhaps think about keeping track of access and offering a way to analyse/present that data to the user via a web interface or what-have-you.

Incorporate a smart phone in there as well and you're winning.

"identify a real situation of a suitable size and scope and produce a computer based system for it. The situation you choose should be accessible to you, such as a family business, a local club or charity with which you have some contact, or something in school."

This might be an important part of it...

wow thats some insight. True the mark scheme does emphasise on data processing. You all have given me alot of amzing ideas.

I will be going with the automated door lock idea.
Features:
*Can be opened via email/text message
*Automated unlock when a person of certain height gets close to the door (so that children cannot just wander out of the house)
*Records and displays the times and dates of door access eg. 15:03 Jan 2001
*Also able to display these records as a graph

These will be the main features of the project. Does anybody know an overview of what items I would need.
Also I already know how to code for Visual Basic. Will that be sufficient or will I need to learn c/c++/java>?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: