Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Voltage Boosting Circuitry  (Read 600 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Question.

I am looking to charge a larger capacitor to a 'high voltage' somewhere in the realm between 50-400 volts.

Yes, I know capacitors are dangerous in regards to electric shock, explosion, line faults, etc... I have and continue to use safety protection and protocol when working around this equipment, so please don't bash me before for inexperience before hearing me out.

My supply voltage is DC 1.5-15 volts (output to capacitor is between 50-400 volts).

From my research it looks like a DC-DC boost circuit is the most approachable method.

The simplest circuit I have found is this one:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/RegulatedPositiveVoltageBooster

What are your thoughts? Is there a better method?

Thanks,
Swim.

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

In theory this will work. 50V should be doable, but once you start getting into the 400V range you have to carefully consider the voltage ratings of your components. For example, your switch transistor has to withstand 400V, and definitely a little bit more for headroom. Same with your diode, inductor coils, etc. Theory goes a little bit out the window as the voltages climb (or, more accurately, you have to be very aware of component ratings and parasitic properties, like the capacitance of your inductor).

Also research the "flyback converter" topology, as that might be a bit safer for your Arduino and you will get a natural voltage boost from the transformer.

--
The Ruggeduino: compatible with Arduino UNO, 24V operation, all I/O's fused and protected

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I wouldn't use that sort of circuit, it's not isolated. Instead I would get a 6v mains (240v) transformer and drive the secondary with 12v switched from a H-bridge. Then out of the mains side would come 480v RMS, which will give you what you need when you have rectified it.
Look at circuits to drive GM tubes.

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Get hold of a "disposable, single use" cheapo camera with inbuilt flash and take it apart to recover the inverter unit.  This will generate around your 400 volts from a AA battery.   If you talk nicely to your local photoshop they may have a stock of these in their rubbish bin.

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

another good source is a scanner
the light is a sort of flourescent tube that runs at quite a high voltage

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Look up things  like Nixie tube wrist watch, uses disposable camera for the high voltage as jackrae said.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes, I have been using a camera flash charger for the time being...however:

I want to increase Vin from 1.5 up to 12 volts
I want to be able to go down to 50 volts....the charger is set around 300.

For noise isolation - couldn't I use an opto-coupler on the transistor signaling?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:46:18 pm by Swim100flyy » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Sounds like you need your own DC/DC converter then. Chop up the 12V, run backwards thru a  120V to 24V transformer, filter to get back to DC.
Check out hammond manufactuting, they make all kinds of transformers for tube amplifiers.
http://www.hammondmfg.com/claspg.htm

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: