Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Controlling a slow and silent motor  (Read 566 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hi

I need to control a slow and silent motor. It doesn't have to be precisely at a specific speed, but approximately 1 rotation per minute. I can of course work with gears to slow the final rotation down. But the slower the motor itself, the easier the transmission to ~1rpm is.
The important thing however is, that it should be as silent as possible.
The motor itself doesn't need to be very powerful, but should be able to lift a weight that is about 100 gram.

Its for an art exhibition, that constantly moves a scroll of paper (like an endless scroll), and therefor would be good if its silent enough to not disturb.

Does anybody know, which kind of motor I should use for this and whether I should control it with an Arduino or just a constant power supply with resistors?

Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:07:45 pm by fabiopigi » Logged

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

If a constant power supply with resistors works just use that, it is much simpler (you might use a potmeter to tune the speed)

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

hi

I need to control a slow and silent motor. It doesn't have to be precisely at a specific speed, but approximately 1 rotation per minute. I can of course work with gears to slow the final rotation down. But the slower the motor itself, the easier the transmission to ~1rpm is.
The important thing however is, that it should be as silent as possible.
The motor itself doesn't need to be very powerful, but should be able to lift a weight that is about 100 gram.

Its for an art exhibition, that constantly moves a scroll of paper (like an endless scroll), and therefor would be good if its silent enough to not disturb.

Does anybody know, which kind of motor I should use for this and whether I should control it with an Arduino or just a constant power supply with resistors?

Thank you in advance

What you want is called a "timer motor" - for example:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ACM-339/1-RPM-115-VAC-TIMING-MOTOR/1.html

Of course the above is surplus (which is why it's marked @ $4.50 USD), and is meant for a 120 VAC/60 Hz mains supply. These are typically used for controlling the timing cycles of electro-mechanical dishwasher, clothes washing machine, and clothes dryer controllers. I've also seen them used in certain old "flip-digit" clock radios (for the clock). They are very common, and should be fairly easy to obtain in the mains standard voltage/frequency of your country.

They are virtually silent, relatively powerful for their size, highly reliable, and fairly accurate (if that's needed). Just wire up a simple lamp cord to the leads, and plug it in. No need for an Arduino, no need for complex circuitry, no need for expensive solutions.

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

And as another idea, consider moving the motor away from where people can hear it and using a pulley or belt to transfer the rotational motion to the thing that needs rotating. That will be ultimately silent.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Also, HOW the motor is mounted will have a big effect on the noise that is causes. Noise is caused by vibration. Isolation (typically rubber) mounts will dampen vibration. Hard mounts will amplify it.

Solid structures vibrate less than flexible structures.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: