Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Electric irish whistle - what sensors to use?  (Read 1429 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've never dabbled in electronics before, let alone Arduino. Please forgive me for any mistakes and misconceptions I present.

I wish to build an electronic irish whistle - essentially a sine wave synthesizer that:
1. gets its frequency from your finger layout and a breathing-related factor (when breathing hard enough, woodwind instruments go up an octave)
2. gets its amplitude from breathing

The fingering sensors are not binary - keying combinations include half-covered holes, and gradually covering a hole results in a sliding effect.

I'd have to interface with 6 sensors for fingering, and one for breathing - 7 in total.

My questions are:
1. What kind of sensors should I use?
2. What hardware will I require, Arduino-wise?
3. What else am I forgetting? smiley

Thank you very much,
Miki

View Profile

Thanks smiley

These will probably do the trick.

Will I have to get a sensor shield, or can I connect these sensors directly to an Arduino board if it has enough connections?

View Profile

Merci!

c'est bien ça - get a sensor shield, or c'est bien ça, you don't have to get one?

Dallas, Texas
View Profile

Only very loosely related, so I hope you guys don't mind, but I hope you guys will enjoy this:

To hear an audio sample, click here:

A mechanized one of those would be a heck of a project.  smiley-evil  smiley-eek-blue

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The fingering sensors are not binary - keying combinations include half-covered holes, and gradually covering a hole results in a sliding effect.
How will you deal with the fact that covering/uncovering a hole is non-linear? That is, a constant "motion of a finger over a hole" results in a non-constant "area of hole covered" value.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The capacitive sensing scheme suggested appears to accomodate analog measurement of finger position.
Right. But the measurement (input) is linear, where the output (the audible effect) is non-linear. I want to make sure that OP understands this.

View Profile

Flute reaction of finger position is non-linear? It is, however, a continuous function. Hopefully, this could be closely emulated by using a suitable function on the sensor's input?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Flute reaction of finger position is non-linear?
How can it be? The flute reaction is based on the area of the opening. As the finger moves over the hole, in a linear fashion, the area not blocked does not linearly decrease.

It is, however, a continuous function.
Of course. At no point can the function jump in values, so it must be continuous, Just not linear.

Hopefully, this could be closely emulated by using a suitable function on the sensor's input?
Most likely. Just needs to be given some thought. Some experimenting will be necessary to determine if the Arduino-based whistle really does sound like a real one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: