Go Down

Topic: DDS with Wave data compression - Performance (Read 154 times) previous topic - next topic

Jul 13, 2015, 11:17 am Last Edit: Jul 13, 2015, 11:23 am by trixtan
Hi, I am trying to make a DDS synthesizer with Arduino using direct digital synthesis with wavetable compression.
Compression works by storing just the first 90° of the sine wave (see here for details).

Anyway, I have some issues with the performance of the timer interrupt code. If I play the uncompressed wave the produced sound is smooth, but the compressed wave sounds like if the sampling rate were much slower.
I guess this is due to the more expensive operations I use to "unpack" the wave. This is the code to obtain the wave sample:

Code: [Select]
compressionSwitch = phaccu >> 30; //upper 2 bits are the compression switch (on which part of the sinewave are we)
    compIcnt = phaccu >> 22;
    cbi(compIcnt, 9);
    cbi(compIcnt, 10);
    icnt = compIcnt;
switch(compressionSwitch) {

case 0: //0° to 90°
waveSample = pgm_read_byte_near(sine + icnt);
case 1: //90° to 180°
  waveSample = pgm_read_byte_near(sine + LENGTH - icnt);
case 2: //180° to 270°
  waveSample = pgm_read_byte_near(sine + icnt) - OFFSET;
case 3: //270° to 360°
  waveSample = pgm_read_byte_near(sine + LENGTH - icnt) - OFFSET;

I am relative new to C/C++, but I don't think that Sum, bit shifts and bit set are expensive operations. Or am I wrong?
Do you see something wrong with this code?

I attached the whole sketch too.

It looks like you have a sine table with 256 samples (or 1024 samples for a full sine wave).

The first thing I noticed was that you don't negate the sample for 180 through 360 degrees. The waveform is positive between 0 and 180 and is negative between 180 and 360. You need to subtract the sample from the offset, rather than subtracting the offset from the sample:
case 2: //180° to 270°
waveSample = OFFSET - pgm_read_byte_near(sine + icnt);
case 3: //270° to 360°
waveSample = OFFSET - pgm_read_byte_near(sine + LENGTH - icnt);

The second thing I noticed was that cbi(compIcnt, 10) will have no effect on compIcnt. compIcnt is phaccu shifted 22 bits to the right, so its bit 10 and up will always be cleared. I think you meant to clear bits 8 and 9 and not 9 and 10. But there's an easier and probably faster way to clear those bits:
compIcnt &= 0xff;
// OR
compIcnt %= LENGTH;

Those clears all bits except for bits 0 through 7 (assuming LENGTH is 256).

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131